Atlas O Trainman GP15-1

gvtfan

Kid with trains
Looking at it as a future purchase, but I'm afraid it won't be detailed enough! Anyone have any words of wisdom, or have this engine?

Well it is in the Trainman line. I'm wondering how much detail is enough. Are you looking at a 2-rail scale version? The last time I saw one I seem to recall it having the detailed trucks and seperate grab irons on the nose. The paint was well done, as most Atlas units are. It has the same twin motor drive as the GP35 so it should pull pretty good and run nice. Not sure if you will be doing much switching with it but some people complain about lack of slow speed for switching.

3 Rail actually, and I just want see-through grilles and some separately applied parts. I use TMCC, and this would be my switcher, so I want it to do slow speeds.

I asked a friend of mine who has one. He's in 2-rail but can answer the detail question. He told me the screen area on the long hood just above the walk way is see through. The handrail stanchions aren't the best and could be up graded. The radiator area on the top isn't see through but then neither is the prototype. Over all he liked it better than the U23B Atlas came out with. TMCC should give you good switching characteristics. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back