Atlas MP15DC Gold with QSI - pictures needed

Cobrix

Hi,

Does anybody own the Atlas MP15DC with QSI Sound? I would like to see how it looks inside. Could somebody send me pictures of this model?

How did they manage to put the sound decoder and the speaker inside ;).
I bought the model in my favourite painting in the silver version and it was hard to find space to put the ordinary dcc decoder. I had to remove the metal ballast to place the decoder.

I plan to buy any other model with QSI and swap the decoder to it. Hovewer I'm not sure if they have the same construction.
What do you think. Is it possible to swap the QSi decoder from Gold version to Silver one?

Regards,
Arek

The Gold version comes with its own Decoder.

I know. But, I have the model in Silver version. It's impossible to buy the Gold version in this particular painting so I bought the Silver version.

I plan to buy one more model (Gold version in any other painting) and then swap the QSI decoder to my model. I wonder if it is possible. Do they have the same construction?

Yes, you can swap shells or just buy an NCE decoder and install it in the engine you already have. You can't swap a sound decoder wtth an engine that doesn't have sound already on board, e.g, the speakers and wiring in place. The Atlas MP 15's have the weights milled out on both sides for speakers and channels run for the wiring. If you go to Atlas web site, they have an exploded drawing of how it's done. You can install your own sound decoder, it's just a little more work milling the weight and getting the wires to the right place.

If you go to Atlas web site, they have an exploded drawing of how it's done.

Thanks for the tip! I found this drawing http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/PartsPDFs/HOMP15DCGoldLocomotive.pdf

Comparing the drawing for Silver version with this drawing - I just need the Sound and DCC Board and the Speaker. The rest of parts is the same.

I planned to install the new MRE or QSI Revolution Sound decoder but there is not much space inside the model. The QSI MP15DC dedicated decoder comes instead the circuit board in silver version and the speaker fits in the body.

Thanks for help.

Arek

Arek,
Unless you have some overriding reason, I'd go with the QSI board. The MRE boards are not well known for the quality of their sound.

Back