Atlas Granite Gorge & Northern

RFANDPVILLE

Anyone build the Atlas Granite Gorge & Northern?

I am interested in this layout. I want to bring it out of the 1950's and put DCC on. Most people say that larger rolling stock like hi cubes, double stacks, passenger cars would have problems functioning here. I want to make it modular as it suggests, but I want to have it as a branch line off of a double mainline so it can go to shows. It needs to be portable. At shows you don't see too much over and under or bridge usage. Anyone got pictures of one they might have built?

Back when I was getting started in the hobby, I looked at building this as well. I ultimately decided against it bc I just thought the carpentry work and the cuts you had to make were just too time consuming. I went with a freelance layout that uses a 2% grade using traditional risers and plywood.

Seems that many of these Atlas plans are a good start, but definitely benefit if you can build it in 50% larger space and alot larger curves and clearances.

Brad

the most recent atlas book has instructions for DCC, however it works really good on DC as well, what I found out in running the granite gorge is that its a double figure eight, if you time it out right two trains can run on opposing loops and then cross over onto the other track at the same time, its kind of hard to explain but the outside track and the track that crosses over the two mains are the reversing tracks. you can also run one really long train through both loops.

Back