Atlas dash 9 surging problem

Dodgerlv

Anybody out there have a problem with atlas locos surging? I have a atlas dash 9 and it seems to be surging when I run it. Itreally shows when I run it with other locos, even with other atlas dash 9's that I have. I have all of the same setting on them. The other one run fine together. Any suggestions?

I'd narrow down some other things first:

1) clean the wheelsets (rubbing alcohol works well)
2) take the shell off and make sure all wires are connected as they should
3) make sure nothing is binding or rubbing where it shouldn't

If it still has issues, then look at the decoder. Is it an Atlas decoder, or another brand? Make sure DC/analog is off, turn off BEMF. If still problems, do a factory reset.

How do I factory reset it without the wand?
"Wand"? I don't remember ever seeing one with any Atlas locomotive. Are you running DC or DCC? Is the one you are having problems with DCC equipped? Are the others?

Is it a Quantum System (QSI). If so and you have the owners manual, page 30 will tell you how to reset all CV's to factory default. If you don't have a manual then I can print out that page and post it for you. And yes my Atlas Dash 8-40CW surged a little. It appears that I wasn't cleaning my track sufficiently, although it took a while to figure that out as none of my other loco's did it. I tried programing different configurations to see if that would tweak the decoder but it wasn't until I really went to town on the track (which now gleams) that it started to run better. It now goes around the track on speed step 1 out of 128 without stopping (very, very slow) It runs well at all other speeds as well:D

Last edited by a moderator:
was it made by toyota or have a part from CTS in it? :) just kidding

It sounds like the decoder needs to be reprogrammed.

Dave

Back