Atlas Custom line Turnouts Question

tjdean

Just getting started on my first model railroad layout. I'm trying to find out what the difference is in Atlas' code 83 turnouts #6, cat# 505 & 506 and their custom line turnouts #6, cat #s 563, 564. I have DCC so want to make sure either will work OK. Thanks.

Just getting started on my first model railroad layout. I'm trying to find out what the difference is in Atlas' code 83 turnouts #6, cat# 505 & 506 and their custom line turnouts #6, cat #s 563, 564. I have DCC so want to make sure either will work OK.
The difference is mostly in the length of the diverging track. They will fit track plans differently. There are also differences in tie placement, look, and size. The "Super Switches" are supposed to look more prototypical.

All Atlas products will work fine with DCC.

All this "DCC compatible turnout" stuff is a mountain-out-of-a-mole hill sort of thing.

The difference is mostly in the length of the diverging track. They will fit track plans differently. There are also differences in tie placement, look, and size. The "Super Switches" are supposed to look more prototypical.

Thanks Iron Horseman. Looking at the super switches I can't tell if these can be operated by hand or how you move the switch points or do I need to order a manual switch machine or can they be operated manually as is. I'm only familiar with the snap switches that I have. Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Thanks Iron Horseman. Looking at the super switches I can't tell if these can be operated by hand or how you move the switch points or do I need to order a manual switch machine or can they be operated manually as is. I'm only familiar with the snap switches that I have. Sorry for all the newbie questions.

The super switches are designed to use with ground throws or under-table actuation. IIRC the normal #6 and #4 still have the bosses for switch machines.

If you want to control turnouts with DCC.....it's not the switches themselves that need to be DCC compatible. The issue is mating DCC stationary decoders to whatever switch machine you plan to use with the atlas custom line switches.

Mike

Atlas Code 83 Custom #4 & #6 turnouts (switches) are designed to work with either under-the-table switch machines or above-table manual ground throws. Snap switches are apparently (I haven't really looked closely at these as I use Code 100...info taken from Atlas' website) set up to have above-table switch machines that attach (snap) into lugs on the side of the switch. The switch machines are particular to the Code 83 Snap Switches, as the switch machines have the wire leads hardwired to the machine coils, rather than having screwposts terminals like the Code 100.

Twin coil machines like Atlas uses require AC or DC MOMENTARY current (pushbutton, spring-return toggles on the control panel, etc.). ACC stationary (not mounted in a locomotive) switch machine controllers are only needed if you have multiple control locations and/or more than one operator who need to control a particular turnout at a particular time, but another operator will need to control that turnout at another time.

Back