Atlas Code 83 HO Turnouts

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
I have been searching high and low for Atlas Code 83 Remote Switches (part Number 0540 and 0541) but am unable to find anyone who has them in stock. Does anyone know where I might get them from OR can someone tell me an equivalent turnout from another maker that is compatible with Atlas Code 83 Track, prefer Peco or Maklin if they have one.

The track I am looking for in case my description was ambiguous:

http://shop.atlasrr.com/p-78-ho-code-83-remote-snap-switch-left.aspx
http://shop.atlasrr.com/p-79-ho-code-83-remote-snap-switch-right.aspx

I would even settle for manual switches at the moment. No one seems to have them either sadly.

This is the ONLY piece of track that I am missing.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
I was having the same issue. I ended up going on eBay and was able to get a few used switches in like-new condition. I even saved a bit of money.

Wahlters makes a whole bunch of Code 83 switches-don't know about availability. Peco also makes C83, and I haven't heard any availability issues with them. Can't remember if Shinohara makes C83 or not, but they can be hard to find.

Shinohara is the company that manufactures Walthers turnouts. I may be totally wrong, but from what I've seen, Walthers puts their brand name on their DCC-friendly turnouts; whereas all the Shinos I've seen at my LHS are power-routing.

I'm lucky that I got all my Atlas T/O's and flex track a few months before the Chinese factory debacle and subsequent scarcity. Now I've invested in a FastTracks do-it-yourself building kit for #6 code 83 turnouts, wish I'd have had the foresight to do this earlier.

Shinohara is the company that manufactures Walthers turnouts. I may be totally wrong, but from what I've seen, Walthers puts their brand name on their DCC-friendly turnouts; whereas all the Shinos I've seen at my LHS are power-routing.

I'm lucky that I got all my Atlas T/O's and flex track a few months before the Chinese factory debacle and subsequent scarcity. Now I've invested in a FastTracks do-it-yourself building kit for #6 code 83 turnouts, wish I'd have had the foresight to do this earlier.

Walthers has an exclusive deal with Shinohara to brand Shinohara's Code 83 product. When DCC became popular, they changed from Power routing to DCC friendly. Walthers is now the US distributor for Shinohara's code 100, and code 70 product lines, which was previously distributed by Lambert. They are branded Shinohara and unchanged, except that from memory, there used to be #5 switches in the code 70 line, whereas now only #4 and #6. All are power routing.

Back to the OP's question, the switch the OP is seeking is the traditional Atlas 18" radius snap switch. As far as I know, the only matching substitute for this switch would be the offerings of Lifelike, Model Power or Tyco of starter train set fame.

joe

How many do you need? I may have a couple ... no promises as I've sold some recently.

Edit: Went and checked...I have two RH snap switches (#541), powered machines, remaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darn, it is the left hand switches I need. With that being said though, how much do you want for the RH switches and powered machines?

Cheers,

How does $30 shipped for both sound? They're out of the package, but never used. I'll include the turnout, the remote (wired) switch machine, the switch (to activate the remote), and the 1/3 18" radius piece of track.

Not going to argue with that Sir!! I'll send you a PM with my address and so we can work out how to pay you.

Thanks mate. appreciate this a lot,

Cheers

Thanks for all the links and suggestions guys. Out of desperation, I bought a couple of the Peco #5 turn outs but have found some Atlas #540 turn outs as well.

Just a quick observation regarding Peco though. I really like the Peco turn outs, they feel a lot more solid with the spring system they use; however, unlike Atlas track, there is no provision for Rail Joiners. As someone who has never used rail joiners or cut track before, having to do this with the Peco track is a little frustrating, and to be honest, I was hesitant to remove the ties etc for the joiners for fear of ruining the track.

That being said, I do like Peco track, now I have had a closer look at it, would just be nice if they would leave provision for rail joiners.

Cheers and thanks again to all,

I have spoken to several HS owners recently and they all said basically the same thing; Atlas has had issues since late last year with their manufacturing facility in China. Bottom line is they are supposed to start filling back orders by late February early March 2014. This problem is said to effect their entire line.
Hope this may shed some light. I'm waiting for a bunch of stuff too.
Ed

Back