Atlas Code 55 turn-out shortage?!?

SALRy

I've been thinking about building a small N scale layout. But I'm finding Atlas code 55 switches/turn-outs are going for (to me) ridiculous prices on eBay. Why the shortage of these? I tried the search function here and could not find any other threads on the subject. I've also tried to contact Atlas before on another
subject and got no where. What's the skinny on this fellow modelers?:confused:

SALRy

They are out of stock due to a factory change. There have been many threads on the topic. Should be here later in the year. If you do not want to wait, use PECO.

Thanks guys! So Peco will mate up to Atlas track O'K? I'll try and see if I can better my search talents too. Thanks again.:cool:

SALRy

Track brands are pretty much compatible across the board. If you're good with a soldering iron, the code of the rail isn't a problem either. This was one of the first things the NMRA worked on after it was formed in 1935. Before then if you used Brand A's track, you probably couldn't use Brand B's turnouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don' t have any of the code 55 Peco turnouts, but I understand the rail has a different profile than the Atlas rail. I understand there is some difficulty in connecting Atlas/ME to Peco in code 55.

Glenn

Depending on the level of detail you are looking to achieve and how much track you already have, you may want to consider going code 80 PECO. CJ Cresent is right: it should not be too hard to mate rail tops with good soldering. I am getting restarted and am going Atlas Code 80 for the first part (had some left over new) and PECO for the rest of the layout.
If you are not going to have a lot of switches, you may want to go manual switches with Caboose Industries ground throws (218). You can use electric switches where you can't reach and save money and wiring. I know the ground throws look huge in scale, but they are dead reliable and don't look that bad.

I don' t have any of the code 55 Peco turnouts, but I understand the rail has a different profile than the Atlas rail. I understand there is some difficulty in connecting Atlas/ME to Peco in code 55.

Glenn

I'm using a combination of Atlas C55 and Peco C55. There is an issue joining the two. The Peco C55 is actually C80 with an extra flange. The rail below the upper flange is buried in plastic (ties, etc.).

The most common method of joining the Atlas C55 and the Peco C55 is to mash down half of a rail joiner and solder the Atlas rail on top of it. I haven't used that technique.

I grind down the bottom of the Peco rail so that it is actually code 55. SAFETY GLASSES ARE REQUIRED. Then it matches the Atlas C55.

Back