atlas bodyshell paint removal

riss2509

engco18
has anyone attempted removing paint from an atlas bodyshell, if so what did ya soak it in?? Im use to the athearn shells you can soak in brake fluid. So, any help would be appreciated, THANKS!!!!

Have you tried the Purple cleaner at WM in the automotive dept.? It comes in diff. sized containers, but I always buy it by the gallon & I use it full strength.
I buy a small tub & pour it in just to cover the shell & leave it for about a week. After it's ready, be sure & wash it thoughrly w/soap & water before any kind of paint. use a small brush to get off anything that the cleaner doesn't remove after it soaks. Use Green gloves to handle it.

larry

I've had real good luck with Poly S Lift Off. It works slow but will take 90% off overnight. This was on P2K shells though. I don't have any experience with Atlas shells.

I have stripped a few Atlas shells (C30-7 and U23B) using Scalecoat Wash Away. It was easy and quick. For whatever reason, I haven't had success using 91% isopropyl on Atlas products, even though it cuts through Athearn's paint jobs (post SD70/75 models) and P2K's paint like butter.

I cannot suggest something I haven't tried, but I will try it soon and tell yopu the results. I mentioned this method some other times in this forum, but so far I did not need to use it myself.

The item is caustic soda (was mainly used to unblock drain pipes too), when I was in model aircrafts, many of my friends used it to strip off bad paint jobs, and the plastic detail remained untouched, even though model aircrafts have very thin plastic shells.

I will try it sometime, when I start weathering / painting Locos, then I will tell you the result.

Back