Atlas 8-40C, removing the shell

tankist

read the official guide on atlas.com, all seems clear.
removed the coupler but the darn shell just wont come off. they say the front might be difficult and say to "wiggle it carefully". in the BNSF 8-40CW it was also somewhat stuck - came off with blood freezing CLACK (but nthing broken), but this 8-40C is just not cooperating.
went as far as to grab the coupler area of the frame with nose plyers while trying to pry it out. applied way to more force then i think is normal, no result.

any tips on removing atlas shell? or perhaps anyone can take picture of 8-40C Gold with shell off, showcasing the instalation of speakers and the decoder?

PS
back in a day dealing with M60A3's we had a saying "whats not going with force , goes with more force. and if not with lots more force". but i was not really worried about breaking anything since i knew worst comes to worst government would just givve me another tank to torture. here however the case is a bit different, i'd rather not break this model

all right, after some more tries i just rather not break anything. it is fully functioning, will worry about it again when the time for tuneup and oiling comes. but i can't take a look underneath...

was thinking to equip the silver with QSI Revo in a similar speaker arrangement they equip the gold. searched the net and i just can't find pictures of factory sound equipped Atlas 8-40. opening up the shell of the silver i see that they must have some additional hardware in the golds - the original PC board is short, standard QSI will not fit in the existing clips and there are some unused threaded openings in the frame. as far as speakers one obviously goes in vertical round opening instead of the weight, the other one must be a rectangular one under the radiator...

so, anyone installed sound in atlas silver 8-40CW model? if so can you share the speaker config? or perhaps anyone seen or has pictures with shell off?

I have a new Atlas Gold Dash 8. When I had the shell off before, There are two speakers that were installed in what was like an A type frame. It has the QSI decoder in it, which was right in the middle section of the frame on top.

I also noticed how the ditch lights were wired strange, they have contacts on the shell that connect with a set of contact on the frame.

Sorry, but I don't feel like taking the shell off right now though, to take a pic for you.

thanks Michael. that thread did come up in the search.
so you saying both of them go into that opening in the front? that seems strange, 2 speakers in same enclosure, I do not see how this makes it sound better. hmmm. i guess i can install additional keep alive capacitor in the back then.

The speakers are not sealed in an enclosure though. They have a special A frame structure that they each fit into. The structure looks like an A, and it stands up right, to save room.

I dunno, they sound really good though.

It looks like this:

Atlas.jpg

that is correct and they do sound strellar, but is the A structure in itself that creates the enclosure. i guess they know what they doing putting 2 in there...
well, in any case you debunked my impression about rear speaker.

Back