Atlanta Train Show Aug.9th

Rotorranch

MRR Refugee
There is a Golden Spike Ent. train show this Saturday, Aug. 9, at the North Atlanta Trade Center in Norcross, GA.

Here's a link to a discount coupon for the show. Atlanta Train Show Discount

Rotor

Please note this is a Saturday ONLY show! (I messed up on the title.) :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, Rotor, I'd love to get up there but I'm still recovering from Florida. I'm not sure the old body could take an up and back to Atlanta tomorrow. :)

Glad to help, y'all! :)

I hope to be there by about 11:00am. I'll be the good looking guy in a bright blue t-shirt and hat. :rolleyes: If you see me, say "hey"!

Rotor

Well, if you see a kid (I'm 21) wearing a grey Southeastern Railway Museum shirt on with a Norfolk Southern Dash-9 on it, that's probably me!

Kyle

Did anyone else go?

Was anyone else disappointed?

There were vendors packing up to home by 2 o'clock! And very few vendors to speak of. And nobody wanted to make a deal.

The only thing I bought was a small used John Deere tractor for a buck.

Rotor

i was planning on taking a few friends. we were going to head out there around 2. but something else came up. i take it the one at cobb galareia back in march was way better.

I didn't make the show in March at the Galleria. But pretty much every show I have been to was better than this one. I don't know if gas prices affected the turn out or not.

But, even a bad train show is better than no train show at all. :)

Rotor

Every train show I go to every year in south Fla. all of the dealers say that they are going to stop making train shows & only sell stuff on the internet.
Well, they've been saying that for at least 8 years & every time I go I see the same ones. But, the one's that come back are getting more can-tankerous about dealing on an item. It's that price or I'll keep it. That's not what a train show is about. If you want to sell something you've got to deal w/the customer unless they are way out of line.
We will see in the next 2 or 3 years as train shows are starting to downsize
& cut out 2 or 3 shows a year & only run one.
Gas prices has a lot of people cutting back on everything & train shows are 1 of them. I was planning on making the Plant City show this month, but, finances are low & it's about 75 miles north of me.

Larry

Hey Larry when is that show in Plant City?

It's the 16th. Next sat. It's $10.00 to get in & it's an NMRA meet, but you don't have to be an NMRA member to go. There's going to be a lot of classes & stuff that the NMRA does. I sure would like to go. You gonna come over here to Arcadia & pick me up?

Larry

Let me get back with ya maybe I could....I gotta check my schedule to see if I have a DIVE that weekend.

Yeah, I caught it too - it wasn't awesome, but it was decent I thought. The one in March was a bit better I thought too though. I liked the Ntrak layout they had, pretty cool to watch them run it (especially when you're still a newbie like me!)

Kind of dissapointed in the amount of swap stuff though, not much in the N scale department...

Kyle

Let me get back with ya maybe I could....I gotta check my schedule to see if I have a DIVE that weekend.

I was just kiddin'ya' about picking me up. That would be over 100 miles out of your way.
My wife said I might be able to go if I can find transportatation since she will have the car in Sebring for a quilt show. LOL

Larry

Sounds like it's a good thing I didn't waste the gas and time to drive to Atlanta. The few trains shows I've been to over the past couple of years seem to be more than an assemblage of hobby shops than individual sellers I used to see years ago. There were really good deals then since a lot of guys were packrats and wanted to get rid of some of the hundeds fo boxes of stuff they'd collected over the years. Now it seems like you can do just as well or better on prices with internet shops or e-bay and not have to drive or dicker with some of those cantankerous old guys. :)

Sounds like it's a good thing I didn't waste the gas and time to drive to Atlanta. The few trains shows I've been to over the past couple of years seem to be more than an assemblage of hobby shops than individual sellers I used to see years ago. There were really good deals then since a lot of guys were packrats and wanted to get rid of some of the hundeds fo boxes of stuff they'd collected over the years. Now it seems like you can do just as well or better on prices with internet shops or e-bay and not have to drive or dicker with some of those cantankerous old guys. :)

the one in march at cobb was my first show. I went with a couple of friends. one of whom bought his son. Of course all kids love trains, but after about the second hour the kids were ready to go. naturally we (the adults) could have stayed all day. kids have a hard time wraping their minds around the "look only, dont touch" theory. We did find a few good deals. a lot of people had stuff it they were trying to get rid of....like the pack rats UP mentioned. and i didnt even go over budget. There was a guy with two old paint scheme tropicana reefers that i wanted to buy, but he wanted way too much for 2 units with horn hook couplers.

I didn't make the show in March at the Galleria. But pretty much every show I have been to was better than this one. I don't know if gas prices affected the turn out or not.

But, even a bad train show is better than no train show at all. :)

Rotor

couldnt have said it better myself. not sure why my AIM has not been able to launch as of late. I have been putting a little money away for that LGB set. Ill need to come by sometime soon and go shopping again.:D

Yeah, I caught it too - it wasn't awesome, but it was decent I thought. The one in March was a bit better I thought too though. I liked the Ntrak layout they had, pretty cool to watch them run it (especially when you're still a newbie like me!)

Kind of dissapointed in the amount of swap stuff though, not much in the N scale department...

Kyle

hey Kyle-what part of terminus are you in? i caught the March show and i thought it was awesome - but maybe thats because it was my first show. newbies think everything is awesome i guess. I know its way after the fact, but here are some photos from the Cobb show. it didnt dawn on me to charge my batteries before the show, so the only layout photos i got were of the Atlanta N Scalers which was like the first layout on the top floor:

S6300035-1.jpg

S6300037.png

S6300039.png

S6300041.jpg

S6300042.jpg

this was the first time i saw full length trains. it was truly a sight.

S6300043.png

S6300045.png

A-slide...there's almost as much in your one overview pic as there was at the whole last show. :eek:

I can say it's the only show I ever went to that I only spent $1 at! Most were $200-300 weekends. I only saw one item on my "to get list", and it was more than I wanted to spend, and the dealer didn't want to deal on it. :rolleyes:

I hope it cost him $5 to take it home with him! :D

AIM me, PM or email through the site if you want to contact me. Or call me. Let me know if you need my number again. Email is Rotorranch@aol.com

Rotor

Back