Athearn VS Atlas

Well after a long night of hunting down a UP Dash 7 I found one..Happens to be a Atlas. So I am going to try to get it here in the few weeks and try out a atlas.But I so far prefer athearn.

Jason K

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, they run about neck & neck. Their product offerings don't really overlap for my modeling time period, so I don't have to choose between one or the other's GP-XX or whatever. If I did, it might come down to the sound system (if sound was in the equation...it isn't always) and I prefer Soundtraxx. Other than that I would have no problem recommending either company to a prospective buyer

For me, they run about neck & neck. Their product offerings don't really overlap for my modeling time period, so I don't have to choose between one or the other's GP-XX or whatever. If I did, it might come down to the sound system (if sound was in the equation...it isn't always) and I prefer Soundtraxx. Other than that I would have no problem recommending either company to a prospective buyer

Alan,
I have 3 Atlas SD-24's that might change your mind about Soundtraxx. :D The factory QSI sound is as good, if not better than Tsunamis.

I will say I do like both of them.But never had a atlas yet.But I will say they both sound like a good model loco.

For me I have always been a mixed runner of Atlas and Athearn. This minds you goes back to when the first 40-2's were BB and they matched perfectly with the Atlas. I have not tried to run any of the current ones due to lack of layout or club to run at.

I like Atlas better because of the drive. The details on the Athearn are good particularly on the later RTR and Genesis models. I like that Atlas uses LEDs and Athearn has yet to switch from bulbs to LEDs. The bulbs Athearn uses are hit or miss and and often burn out quickly.

All of mine going to DCC here sooner or later.I plan on installing LED's in them when I do.I do plan on getting a atlas here soon.I spent awhile on the net and calling dealers to find what I am looking for and I found one.It is a atlas dash 7 in UP colors but it is DCC ready.It is the silver run not the gold run with DCC.I really don't care anyways becouse I am going to be using all soundtraxx anyways.I just hope it is wroth it,but I am sure it will be.Yea it would be nice if they installed LED's in already.But that would make things easy..lol

Jason

Back