Athearn Sound

I haven't heard the Athearn sound system yet but have several QSI Quantam equipped Atlas locomotive and they are pretty darned good. They also run great and the detail is outstanding. I'd really have to see and hear the Athearn MP-15 in person before I made a decision to go with it over an Atlas
Gold series model.

Thanks for the Input - and the Links.. IMO 224.00 is a bit high for a peice from Atlas.. to me their name is not genrally associated with high quality realistic models. From what Jim says, they have greatly improved over peices in the past. I'll have to check one of them out in person before I buy I guess..

Atlas is one of the best right now. Their MP15DC looks and sounds great.

If you have an MRC DCC system, the Athearn sound units are very good too. But if you run other DCC systems you can have problems programing CV's on the MRC sound decoders Athearn uses. My Digitrax system can only program the address and nothing else.

I have not heard the Athearn MP15AC, but I have two of them without sound, and they are the best looking plastic diesel I've ever seen!

The old yellow box Atlas's are sub-standard on the detailing, the newer (~'90+) are much nicer. That unit comes with an amazing sound/DCC system also.

There's been discussions on other lists that the MRC sound decoders leave something to be desired. Usually, it's the decoder itself; I don't recall too many complaints about the sounds itself.

Kennedy

*Cough* MRC sounds decoders suck*Couch cough* True enuff(bracket) :D If you get the Athearn MP15, GO loksound!

I went on and picked up the Atlas Mp15DC ... I could only find the Amtrak paint scheme on Ebay.. So I guess I'll end up painting it.. No Biggie. But how to paint it. Either going to do it as a EX L&N or ex MoPac ... or maybe I think its the TRRA out of St Louis... time to do some digging..

Well it Arrived... and I'm FRIGGIN IMPRESSED! between how this thing is packed, to its performance on the track.. Awesome!

I'll get some photos when I get back from Wash. DC sunday night - The sound is great too! I'm glad I went with the Atlas instead.... Thou Id really like to have a mopac version.. on well, I'll pick one up eventually.

Thanks for the feedback ya'll!

Back