Athearn SD70ACe's released! Who's got one?!

Better sound is usually defined by the quality of the output of the speakers, it doesn't mean loud, but crisp and clear with a little bit of bass. I have a $3000 audio system in my car, so I know what quality sound sounds like.

I was at my LHS today and checked out the Athearns. They actually look very good, and the detail on them is excellent. There are some details on the Athearn that MTH doesn't have, like the trucks.

I had them give me a look at the Athearn's sound on a test track. It sounded, well just OK. I can tell the difference in the quality of sound with the MTH. MTH has a lot more bass.

In my opinion, the accuracy of the sound files in relation to the prototype is just not as important as the quality of the sound.

well, IMHO level of detail is more important then sound.
and as far as sound, IMHO accuracy is more important then volume and in a way bass - in any case it is still better then N . running qualities i'm sure this one is comparable to other engines in genesis falmily - at the least acceptable running.

the only down thing is the price ... obviously its, just me and i know all the stories about market and such, but somehow i can't justify more then 200$ per engine...

For Motley:

I guess it's a matter of what the individual wants. The guy on You Tube wanted to hear his model all around the layout. OK, fine for him. I operate in a large club scenario. I want to hear my model (or anyone elses) when it's near me, not two aisles over. With 20 or more locos running, or even more on an open house, max volumes get dowright annoying. I agree more bass gives you better overall sound quality, but only to a point. I have some QSI equipped E and F units that are plenty loud, but I prefer the Tsunami 567 engine sounds in my Athearn Genesis Fs (aftermarket installs), even though they aren't quite as loud. They get loud enough for me. My models usually run at 40% or so volume. I prefer them to sound like the real thing and maybe be not as loud rather than to have generic sounds and be louder. I have not noticed any crispness or clearness issues with any Tsunami unit, though I have not heard this Athearn model. I have heard the MTH. The chief difference would seem to me to be volume.

For Anton: I hear you, but I haven't seen a new model with sound below $200.00 in a while. That seems to be where the market has gone, and with all the Chinese issues it'll probably get worse. If you wait for MB Klien or other on line discount houses to start blowing them out, you get stuck with leftovers. I'm trying to be careful about what I put sound in these days.

The roster and want list are large enough that sound in everything isn't an option. Kids to feed! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been watching and waiting for the aCes to come out by athearn... athearn never lets me down...although i have to admit, whoever they have that lays the model out to be photograghed for advertisements needs to be fired IMMEDIATLY!!!!! not just on the aCe's...but all of them.... they dont take an extra few minutes to properly deburr the handrails, and downright install them correctly!! just look at the latest advertisement for them...all of them have terribly installed handrails.... heck, not long ago, they advertised a loco that had a wheel off the track! it makes a great loco look like butt! and for such a beautiful engine, its a shame!

now, i have seen these in person, and i must say... being an avid detailer.. i had planeed to buy one, detail the crap out of it, weather it, and probubly sell it.. but after seeing it in person, i truly dont know of more than maybe 4-5 small items i could add/relpace.. these things thuly are pieces of art!

oh, and i watched that video.... wow, could someone be more of an MTH supporter! lol... that comparison was a joke! alot of "well, i think", and "to me" in that comparion, with very very little real facts! what a joke :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back