Athearn New Mexico Rail Runner

2869ral

I just purchased an Athearn Rail Runner locomotive, now i need 3 Bombardier coaches. Does anyone know if these coaches are the same, or are they all different? Also i just purchased 1 Athearn Bombardier control coach off EBay, any leads on where i can purchase a couple more? Thanks

Having worked on Bombardier cars there were only coaches & cab cars back in the early 90s. If you got the cab car off eBay you should be able to get the coaches there as well. You could probably just Google those cars & find internet stores that sell them. Also try your LHS.

Not sure what you mean by if the coaches are "all the same" or "different?" You mean what Athearn made, or something else?

I went digging in my closet and found my Railrunner set (awaiting layout completion, along with all my other rolling stock in there...). I've got a three-car set, which includes Railrunner coaches #1002, 1003, and control car 1105; plus I also have a single separate coach, #1004. The Athearn product numbers on these are 25910 and 25710, respectively. I think there may have been a few other coach numbers available out there, as I see #1011, and a 3-car set with #1009, 1010, and 1012 online too, albeit all discontinued looks like.

Good luck in your search. As you've probably discovered, finding out of production cars can be difficult, probably need to keep watching Ebay and haunting your local train shows.

Not sure what you mean by if the coaches are "all the same" or "different?" You mean what Athearn made, or something else?

All the Bombardier Rail Runner cars carry passengers. That includes the coaches (obviously) & the cab cars (what you call control cars). Cab cars have an engineer's compartment to run the train from that end of the train. So as far as the passengers are concerned they are all just coaches. And they all just carry passengers, i.e. there's no food or drink service like on Amtrak.

All the Bombardier Rail Runner cars carry passengers. That includes the coaches (obviously) & the cab cars (what you call control cars). Cab cars have an engineer's compartment to run the train from that end of the train. So as far as the passengers are concerned they are all just coaches. And they all just carry passengers, i.e. there's no food or drink service like on Amtrak.

I know what a coach vs. cab car is, I was referring to the OP's question, where he states: "Does anyone know if these coaches are the same, or are they all different?" Wasn't sure if that meant train consist, car type, whether Athearn offered different car numbers for each, whether Rail Runner operates different types of coaches from different manufacturers, or something else.

Don't understand what OP means by "Does anyone know if these coaches are the same, or are they all different?". But my explanation should suffice. Bombardier only made the coaches & cab cars. Check the Athearn website for the car numbers they offered. They should still be there even if the aren't offering them anymore. Aldo the OP could check the Rail Runner website to see how many Bombardier cars they had & maybe even the car #s.

Is what i meant is, are all the Athearn coaches physically the same. I figured i would have to purchase these individually, so i wanted to get an idea if i needed to keep an eye out for each different coach or just buy 3 that are identical. Anyway i found a set (3) NIB on ebay. I had to pay up for them, but they are mine now!

as per operation the only coaches and cars they have are the bombardier, If I was you keep a eye on your LHS, ebay and train shows as they would be a easy way to come up on cars the only thing that is different they have now is the MP36

YES!! I finally got them!

Attachments

• 2016-12-01 14.50.31.jpg
    2016-12-01 14.50.31.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 579

Back