Athearn Genesis F7 AB units ( DC mode )

gnbuilder

I have found a pair of Athearn Genesis F7 AB units ( no DCC or Sound ) for sale on ebay. The seller wants 450.00 for the pair. These engines were discontinued in 2008 so I'm having a hard time finding out what they orignally sold for. Does anyone have an idea what they were priced at when Athearn was selling them?

Thanks for the help. I'm knew to the forum and really like it.

gnbuilder.

Seems a bit high to me, sound units can be had for under $200 each.
Unless they are a roadname you just can't get or paint I'd look around.
Welcome aboard by the way!

I will also agree. I picked up an NP Athearn Genisis DC a few years back for only $99. Again, it may be the road name.

Thanks for the help. I agree with you guys, I think the price is high also. These engines are in NP's North Coast Limited two-tone green livery and they are very hard to find ( especially new ) I offered the seller 375.00 but he's holding out for all the cocounts. I would make a guess that they probably sold for around 149.98 a piece new from athearn in 2008 so I would really value them at about 300.00 or less. The units are DCC Ready. Thanks again for the help.

gnbuilder

That's the same paint scheme I got, the NP two tone green. Guess I got a good deal at $99, but didn't realize that I had bought it so long ago. My unit is not DCC ready, just straight DC. I do know that they were very hard to find, but an excellent running locomotive.

This seller has not agreed to my price of 385.00. But now there are two more listings of NP Passenger AB units. One set is an F9 and the other one an F7. Both of those sellers are asking considerably less and the Engines are new

gnbuilder

I still think the seller is a little proud of the locomotives. Maybe it's a good thing you didn't get carried away. See what happens with the other sellers.

Reference point -Good deal

For reference I got on Ebay a new HO Intermountain GN -EB F7A & F7B with factory DCC/sound for $155 USD delivered for the pair.

Whenever I get a deal it spoils me and keeps me trying to better it.

good hunting ,,, ken

Hello gentlemen, I model both the Great Northern and The Northern Pacific. Today a I purchased A Proto 2000 DCC/W Sound GN AB unit for 425.00. Ken I'm jealous......very jealous. Enjoy your engines, Intermountain is a very good quality Brand. I spoke with the seller of those NP Genesis DCC Ready engines and, gently as I could, mentioned the other NP engines Identical to his that were priced considerably lower. After a little more conversation I found out that he had paid way too much for them so he's hoping someone will buy them at a price that will give him a small profit. Montanan are you an engineer Now, or were an Engineer? Love the NP Logo.

Hello gentlemen, I model both the Great Northern and The Northern Pacific. Today a I purchased A Proto 2000 DCC/W Sound GN AB unit for 425.00. Ken I'm jealous......very jealous. Enjoy your engines, Intermountain is a very good quality Brand. I spoke with the seller of those NP Genesis DCC Ready engines and, gently as I could, mentioned the other NP engines Identical to his that were priced considerably lower. After a little more conversation I found out that he had paid way too much for them so he's hoping someone will buy them at a price that will give him a small profit. Montanan are you an engineer Now, or were an Engineer? Love the NP Logo.

No, I am not and never was an engineer. When I was growing up here in southwestern Montana, I had numerous relatives who worked for both the Northern Pacific and the Milwaukee Road. (yes, family get togethers were always fun). Starting when I was about ten, I was allowed to ride in the cabs of both railroads. Some of the railroad workers were a bit apprehensive about this, but by following the rules and safety regulations, I was able to earn the respect of the workers and still have very strong friendships today. This is what got me interested in model railroading. Although I freelance my own railroad on my layout, I connect to both the NP and the Milwaukee. With the room I have available, I couldn't even model a part of a subdivision of either railroad and do them justice. I model the area right where I live and model what could have been knowing what the needs of the area are and what indusutries did and could have existed in 1957, the time that most influenced my interest in trains. Steam was on it's way out, but I can still remember riding on some of what was left of the Northern Pacific's steam at the time.

By the way, I hope you enjoy the new locomotives. I am not into DCC, so I am not very familiar with the prices, But for having DCC and sound, they sound reasonable. Send some pictures when you get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check on Intermountain's NP FP7A-F7B in the Raymond Loewy (North Coast Ltd) two-tone paint scheme. Can't recall how much I paid for them, but I got them at Caboose Hobbies in Denver a few months ago, and they have both DCC & sound, and run very well! Not sure if they come in DC only.

Historical Societies, Intermountain, and Railroading.

Good evening everyone. In response to Iornhorse's post, I belong to both The NP and The GN Historical Societies. They do have a great deal of modeling information on their respective railways. Thats for sure. I have one NP F7 that I bought at a local Hobby Shop in St Paul that's an Intermountain. It's DCC but no sound. I'll convert it when I can find a combo decoder. I love it. I do check with caboose hobbies on their website from time to time for GN and NP items and really anything railroad related. Montanan, I'm glad to hear you had a proper railroad upbringing. I think I'll come to your family reunions. I never worked for the railroad, But I'm a licsensed Conductor ( working my way to Engineer ) for the Minnesota Transportation Museum, along with being a machinist and woodworker and fabracator. There are alot of great people in the world we live in, but I've always liked Railroaders the best.

Back