athearn couplers

tigerclaw

From the local train shop I have 2 athearn ready to roll boxcars with plastic couplers not working. The cars couplers do not line up with the walthers cars, uncouple on inclines, switches and derail.
I read posts about replacing the couplers, but about line up with the other cars? What is amazing is the working athearn cars cost a small $2.00 more. Maybe I should open the box and look at every detail at the store? Now out $40.00 for non working freight cars? Also the working cars have tiny springs in the couplers.
A retired adv man, back to trains with grandkids after 30 years away.
Thanks

Kadee (HO) or Micro Trains (N) sell a coupler "maintenance" kit that includes a height gauge and lubricant among other things for their couplers. However, Athearn uses McHenry couplers on their rolling stock and I don't know if anything such as that exists for that brand of coupler.

You might try adjusting them with Kadee or MT's height gauge or just replace them with Kadee or MT's.

I've noticed the clowns in China crank the coupler's screws down too tight causing binding. Sometimes shimming the trucks up with small washers under the bolster helps bring low couplers up to the right level. Honestly, I have given up on all the junky couplers out there and put Kadees on everything. No substitute for that.

tigerclaw

KD's are the way to go. Not only are the majority of the couplers metal, but they offer a complete "system". Everything from couplers, draft gear(the box the coupler fits in), gauges, screws, washers, uncouplers, tools, etc. These are all geared to to prevent things like you describe from happening. Try this link, for HO;

http://www.kadee.com/index.shtml

And this one for N scale, if you're in N scale.

http://www.micro-trains.com/

One reason I buy used more often.

Is there a height problem also? Kadee sells a height gauge and shim kit also. The height gauge keeps the couplers clear of your switches and crossovers.

FWIW I prefer their whisker couplers over the old school #5s. No pesky bend me centering tin.

What I don't get is this:

Why do "certain companies" selling HO cars for 28-Dollars and up avoid using Kadee couplers? Is it really worth it to shave a couple of Cents off the building cost (China) to put crummy couplers on expensive models? That is the real issue.

Back