As a friend says, I have joined the dark side.

B

BSVRR

I swear on my Jeep that I did not go to the Kate Shelly Division show with the idea I was going to even look at anything other than HO, and in that regard I pretty much found everything I'd hoped to snag, seriously. Then as I was walking out the door I saw a huge box with a Bachmann Tweetsie set from a store up north, new, in a box that looked like it had went through parcel post and back. I've looked at this set before online, the price was stupidly discounted to the point where I abandoned logic and reason and pulled the trigger.

No illusions that I have a top of the line set up, but it's good enough to get my feet wet, once I have something to run it on I can worry about upgrades to the train. Set it up on the porch and ran it for awhile, everything works well, runs very smooth and doesn't appear to be real noisy, the chugging sound is bit faky but hey, it's a start. really just want to buy some real track, construct a small line through a raised garden with a small water feature that I'm doing anyway just to give it some pop and to entertain the grandkids. Luckily we have a good local club and a friend is into G as well for reference. I'll post some pictures later for people to laugh at.

"The ADD. Line of the oh, hey, look, a chicken!":rolleyes:
I won't say you're normal, but I've done much the same thing before. We moved into an apartment where I didn't even have room for an N scale layout, and bought a bunch of G stuff to run out back on the patio.:eek:
Oh, those tank cars, especially the LGB ones, have functioning valves on them, and hold liquids. One Summer I ran my set around the pool, with the tank car full of my favorite beverage, and a gondola behind it filled with ice. It worked very well until I nearly electrocuted myself trying to pour a drink from inside the pool...

Nah. Not wierd, in fact, you're normal, welcome to the club. I had a similar experience with On30. I have been HO for 32 years. I wanted something bigger to go around the Christmas tree and bought the Bachmann North Pole Express set as I found it on-line for $150. For that price, I couldn't say no. Same as you. That year, the girlfriend wanted one of the foo-foo Thomas Kinkade On30 sets since she is a huge fan of his. So, I bought her a set on Ebay for Christmas. Her and I both got hooked on On30 then and there and she buys more of it now than even I do. It's funny to have to look for your Micro-Mark catalog because you're girlfriend got the mail and it's on her night stand. When we go to the train shop (I go for supplies), she goes straight to the On30 selection and you'd think they were purses, shoes or lingerie. Fredericks, Victoria Secret, Sears and Rogers Railroad Junction are going to make me BROKE.

Welcome to the dark side!
Hope you brought a flashlight 'cause you're gonna be seeing all kinds of goodies that you just have to have!

Heh, I'm not real worried about going hog wild on the G stuff, there's only one place it will work and that's going to limit me to either a large oval or maybe an L shape. I was actually going to run O outside with stainless track because of the limited space till this popped up, now I'm glad i found it, even the wife thinks it's cool. Fumble fingers me already pulled off an lost the number plate on the nose though.

Defintely need to get rid of this crud track though, pretty much worthless.

My Dad has a bunch of that G Scale Bachmann track and was going to abandon plans for a Garden railroad (his yard was made for it too!) due to the expense of the Aristocraft and LGB track. I told him to use the old Bachmann track and if it rusts, it rusts, because i want to look into the feasibility of using RC car batteries in a conversion for his Big Hauler 4-6-0's. May work for us, may not, but worth a shot since he's retired now.

My Dad has a bunch of that G Scale Bachmann track and was going to abandon plans for a Garden railroad (his yard was made for it too!) due to the expense of the Aristocraft and LGB track. I told him to use the old Bachmann track and if it rusts, it rusts, because i want to look into the feasibility of using RC car batteries in a conversion for his Big Hauler 4-6-0's. May work for us, may not, but worth a shot since he's retired now.
I've seen people use the battery packs as well as the radio controls for R/C stuff to run their G scale trains.

The track that came with this set is the plastic stuff with the steel cap, I would think it would warp all to hell before rust became an issue. Besides that the engine and cars do not like R1 so I'm not even going to use it, at least for the actual layout. After measuring up everything up it looks like I'm going to get a space about 12' X 12', it will have a streambed running diagonally across it that will serve as the channel for the downspout, it will run into a small water feature with a stand pipe to let excess water run off down the lawn. I have a whole corner of my front yard terraced with a small pond and waterfall i was thinking of using as the layout area origianlly, but in reality the kids around here would end up tearing it up, not bad kids, just kids ya know.

Back