Article on "Graffiti Problem" in railroading.

The author raises a fair point about the amount of graffiti to be seen on today's railroad equipment and infrastructure. However, I don't think that the idea of promoting "positive" graffiti wouldn't be very effective or sustainable, for two major reasons.

1) I'm no graffiti artist, but I think part of the motivation for illegally spray-painting things is that it's illegal, and there's a rush to not getting caught.
2) I might be wrong here, but is there actually an incentive for the railroad companies to adopt this man's plan? Sure, public image might be improved slightly, but sponsoring programs and paying artists is a big deal. [From what I understood, the author was saying the RR companies to should pay or license artists.] The "art" doesn't affect the functionality of the car nor the direct profits it produces.

The part where it would help urban communities was cool, and made some sense. Even if the only-licensed-artists part nullifies it.

I think there are a lot of new technologies being developed like spray-paint and scratch resistant coating. If the RR companies were actually affected by the 'epidemic,' they might consider deploying those measures. As it stands, do any major rail companies have programs to strip the graffiti off the cars?

j3eoA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a retarded solution. Do not let these criminals think its ok to destroy property.

What I would like to know, is why are tanker cars never tagged? I rarely see any tanker cars being tagged like box cars, autoracks, etc. I think they need add more security personal to watch these trains and bust these criminals. Also need increase the punishment for these taggers. Make some jail time mandatory, like 30 days minimum in the slammer, I bet they most of them would think twice about. Lets see here spray some "art" or go to jail. Hmm

I know it wouldn't be easy but I'm thinking tighter security would probably be the best bet. I'm an LTL trucker and my terminal is under constant video surveillance and it's fenced in. I understand it's not that easy to get freight cars rounded up and fenced in to closed quarters after hours but looking at it from that angle might be a good starting point.

I also understand the "if you can't beat em, join em" idea but like Breor was saying, I think much of this is about it being illegal, going against the system and whatever little code of conduct these guys have. Yes some of them are incredibly talented artists but it doesn't make me despise a marked up freight car, building or tractor trailer any less. It's ugly and not needed. End of the day you're still destroying someone's property and acting like a jackass.

Back