Are Steam Engines coming back??

what is the heritage of that loco ?? it looks like a pacific 4-6-2 , you would figure they would go with a 4-8-4 thats not in bad shape to do this type of speed test

I think too many people read stuff like this and instantly think a modern steam engine would be like its smoke belching piston pounding ancestors. Those people will probably be quite disappointed.

The day of drive rods is gone thanks to the traction motor. The modern locomotive is just a mobile diesel power plant producing electricity to run those motors. The point is to make that electricity as cheaply, efficiently and practical as possible. You could take the diesel plant off and put on wind turbines or solar panels or even a nuclear reactor, the locomotive would still work the same way. You generate electricity the best way possible to drive the wheels. No drive rods.

I think the fact they are are trying to retrofit an older locomotive and boiler is a bad move. I hope it is just a concept demonstrator because from an engineering standpoint you can do a whole lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
By blackz28:

what is the heritage of that loco ?? it looks like a pacific 4-6-2 , you would figure they would go with a 4-8-4 thats not in bad shape to do this type of speed test
It's a Santa Fe 4-6-4 Hudson, with 84 inch drivers. Big wheels mean faster speeds at the same RPM's.

By Dameon:

I think too many people read stuff like this and instantly think a modern steam engine would be like its smoke belching piston pounding ancestors. Those people will probably be quite disappointed.
I agree.

The day of drive rods is gone thanks to the traction motor. The modern locomotive is just a mobile diesel power plant producing electricity to run those motors. The point is to make that electricity as cheaply, efficiently and practical as possible. You could take the diesel plant off and put on wind turbines or solar panels or even a nuclear reactor, the locomotive would still work the same way. You generate electricity the best way possible to drive the wheels. No drive rods.
I think they may be going in a different direction than traction motors after reading this page on their website; ww.csrail.org/index.php/the-train/modern-steam/quicker. I wonder if possibly a steam/hydraulic drive?

I think the fact they are are trying to retrofit an older locomotive and boiler is a bad move. I hope it is just a concept demonstrator because from an engineering standpoint you can do a whole lot better.
I think this is just an attempt to show the possibilities that exist with new technology. Probably the cheapest and quickest way to achieve that goal. It will take extensive modification and probably not look or operate like anything we expect!

I think too many people read stuff like this and instantly think a modern steam engine would be like its smoke belching piston pounding ancestors. .
Yes, your entire post shows you are thinking exactly like I am. There has to be some major departures from the old steam concept. This is why I do not understand the choice of an old locomotive for a proof of concept.

On a totally different note I certainly hope they don't destroy the historical significance of the locomotive they are using. It would be a shame to send another old steamer to the scrap yard in the guise of an experiement.

If they are refitting an old locomotive, there is a big problem they are going to encounter which I feel may sink the entire project. To the point where it makes me suspect if they even want to prove their idea is going to work or if they are being forced to use an older locomotive by their corporate backers. Using a refit locomotive for this project would never be as efficient as a purpose built steam plant and then the critics can look at that and say it is not efficient enough and the project gets canceled. It's politics and it happens on a regular basis.

Anyways, I am digressing. I didn't grow up in the age of steam, they were long gone before I was born but even I know that you can't just take an old boiler and fire it up.

There has to be a lot of testing done and modern rules and regulations are very strict. I see this as the major point of failure for the project and also it could skyrocket the development cost. Seriously, WHY? Why risk it? It could be cheaper and certainly better to build a brand new steam plant. The only reason I can think of is to introduce a high factor of failure to purposefully sink the whole effort. The fuel pellets may be a great source of green energy but you would be taking $ away from the oil companies and $ talks! Just like how they've kept the electric car off the road for decades. It's competition and loss of revenue.

humm did they ever come close to building an ACE 3000?? ANYWAYS you would figure they would start baseline testing with a running steam loco , then from there take 1 off the stand & rebuild it to a spec that they desire ;)

A better idea would be to use a nuke plant to power cantinary over the track and have engines like the Centepedes pulling via electric traction motors.

By Y3a:

A better idea would be to use a nuke plant to power cantinary over the track and have engines like the Centepedes pulling via electric traction motors.
I like your way of thinking!!!!!:cool:

It's a nice idea but it'll never happen. Like Dameon said, traction motors are simply better and the diesel-electric design is somewhat modular. Mechanically speaking there's no reason why EMD couldn't replace the diesel prime mover with a minature nuclear reactor, but it won't happen because the diesel-electric is tried & true (and nuclear has a terrible reputation).

Speaking of overhead wire, how hard would it be to have decelerating trains dump their power into the wire and have accelerating trains pick it up? For example, entering and exiting yards - or climbing and descending hills. Do the MU cables pass power or just control? If they pass power the railroads wouldn't have to retrofit every locomotive - just some helpers in the areas with the greatest potential 'power handoff'.

And you don't need nuclear plants to power trains through overheads - just drop in a windmill ever mile or so. Those things crank out so much power ... they could move a train! ;)

Back