Appropriate DCC steam loco for South Dakota?

PIN DR

I am modeling based roughly on the Western area of South Dakota. Not following exactly, just in general. I have all diesel locomotives at this point, but would like to get one steam locomotive. Would like it DCC equipped and able to produce smoke and realistic sounds. HO scale.

Can someone give me an idea of what locomotive would be appropriate? I'd like to get one that isn't super large, so I don't have derailing issues. I don't have any sharp curves, but don't want to push the envelope either.

The steam locomotives look to be pretty expensive compared to the diesels, so I'd like to get this right the first time! Something I could buy through an on-line source (like MB Klein) would be great!

Jeff

The Chicago NorthWestern ran through South Dakota. I found a couple photos of loco's that are readily available that ran through that area.

Here is a route map:

map1909.jpg

Here is a "Consolidation 2-8-0", several model manufacturers of this locomotive:

CNW_052.jpg

Here is a 0-6-0, with pony wheels added. Bachmann makes an o-6-0, as well as many others:

normal_CNW_045.jpg

Here is a 4-4-0 which was retired in 1927, The CStPM&O was incorporated in 1880 and the Chicago and Northwestern Railway gained in control in 1882. It ran to Mitchell, South Dakota:

normal_CNW_032.jpg

So, here you have the 2-8-0 Consolidation, the 0-6-0, and a 4-4-0, all available in HO scale models.

Hope this helps, lasm

Bachmann makes a nice consolidation. It is available with DCC. I have the DC version and it is an excellent running locomotive. It is the one in the rear of the photo, #189. The one in the front, #184 is a brass version from PFM.
attachment.php

It also depends on the era you are modelling. The Burlington Route (C.B & Q.), Great Northern and Northern Pacific also ran in South Dakota, and steam lasted at least until 1953 and maybe 1956 or '57. If you are modelling later, you can justify a steamer for a fan trip, which the "Q" ran occassionally. While they primarily used an O-5 Northern #5632, once in awhile, they would substitue a Mikado 2-8-2, even though those were primarily freight locos. One thought, though they don't exactly match the configuration of the Burlington S-3 Pacifics would be a Mantua Pacific, which are still available both on-line and from Trainworld.

The Milwaukee ran in South Dakota, too. You can include 2-8-2 and 4-6-2 types in addition to switchers. If you're interested in bigger power, the MILW used 4-6-4s and 4-8-4s power on the main line out of Aberdeen. For excursion service, check out the Hill City units. Isn't one of theirs a 2-6-6-2 logging tank engine?

Photoman475

The Milwaukee ran in South Dakota, too. You can include 2-8-2 and 4-6-2 types in addition to switchers. If you're interested in bigger power, the MILW used 4-6-4s and 4-8-4s power on the main line out of Aberdeen. For excursion service, check out the Hill City units. Isn't one of theirs a 2-6-6-2 logging tank engine?

Photoman475

yep,

4_060627012.jpg

C&NW 1385 is a 4-6-0. A Google search will net you some photos of it in that general area.

Back