Apple Ridge Rail Service

Texas Hobo

Well Known Hobo
I have been N scaling for more than forty years off and on. The model railroad gods finally came together about 10 years ago, giving me the time, the space and a few dollars to spend from time to time. I built the Northern and Apple Ridge RR. The idea was a fictious railroad with connections to the Boston and Maine. The layout got to maybe 75% completion when I grew bored with it. I could run several trains watching them go round and round. There were only 2 industries served by my RR. So, in December 2019 I tore it down and started fresh with my current Apple Ridge Rail Service, a DCC layout.
With a clean slate, using SCARM I designed my layout.
1687212040730.png

With a new plan the old layout was torn down and new foam board glued in place, tracks were set out
1687212690971.png

From there wiring, added scenery.
1687212823372.png

So now there are about 14 industries to be served by the ARSS. The current goals is replace as many plastic strucure as possible with laser cut kits. In my opinion the laser cut kits just look better than most of the plastic ones.
1687213135384.png

STAY SAFE

An operating session on the ARRS - I'm am a lone operator. As I said there are about 14 industries to pick up or set out cars at. I have 12 cars that I have assigned 6 industries to, printed on an index card. I then roll a die. The cars are then moved to the industry that matches the number rolled. As an example, roll a 3, and all cars must be moved to the number 3 industry on their card. To complicate things, a train is running on the outer and inner loops. There are 2 run around tracks but you must use the main to get around. You must wait, as the main has the right of way. Takes about an hour and a half. The push / pull column lets you know whether you will need to be pushing the car or pulling the car into the industry.
1687295713654.png

I have been N scaling for more than forty years off and on. The model railroad gods finally came together about 10 years ago, giving me the time, the space and a few dollars to spend from time to time. I built the Northern and Apple Ridge RR. The idea was a fictious railroad with connections to the Boston and Maine. The layout got to maybe 75% completion when I grew bored with it. I could run several trains watching them go round and round. There were only 2 industries served by my RR. So, in December 2019 I tore it down and started fresh with my current Apple Ridge Rail Service, a DCC layout.
With a clean slate, using SCARM I designed my layout.
View attachment 170358

With a new plan the old layout was torn down and new foam board glued in place, tracks were set out
View attachment 170361
From there wiring, added scenery.
View attachment 170362
So now there are about 14 industries to be served by the ARSS. The current goals is replace as many plastic strucure as possible with laser cut kits. In my opinion the laser cut kits just look better than most of the plastic ones.
View attachment 170364

STAY SAFE
Hughie - it is great to see the whole picture of the layout, have seen several smaller ones in the coffee shop...

As far as plastic structures go, I like the challenge of (trying to) make them look like the wooden craftsman kits or hydrocal brick structures.

If they don't exactly look real, at least make them appear to go together

Here is my most recent attempt, to get the cafe/hotel go with the grocery store: not sure if I totally pulled it off but if you are standing back a couple feet I think it works

groceries.jpg

Nice work on your layout, by the way

Dave LASM

Hughie - it is great to see the whole picture of the layout, have seen several smaller ones in the coffee shop...

As far as plastic structures go, I like the challenge of (trying to) make them look like the wooden craftsman kits or hydrocal brick structures.

If they don't exactly look real, at least make them appear to go together

Here is my most recent attempt, to get the cafe/hotel go with the grocery store: not sure if I totally pulled it off but if you are standing back a couple feet I think it works

View attachment 170552

Nice work on your layout, by the way

Dave LASM
That looks pretty good to me. I think the plastic buildings I most want to replace are those purchased many years ago. Some have not fared well over time. I sort of got hooked on the wooden laser cut kits. They are getting more fragile or I'm getting clumsier, as assembling some of them is tedious. Remember, I'm in N Scale.

Back