Appalachian Mountain Coal Mining 4x8 Build

Wow, it's been a while since I've done an update on the layout. Since it's been so long, here's a few pics of how it sits today. Hopefully, I'll get a video of it up soon.

I agree, you've been VERY busy! Really nice work. I watched your video posted on 4/20/11 and saw the "house under construction" model. Talk about something bringing back memories! I had that model on my S scale American Flyer layout when I was.........much younger.:rolleyes: Close to 50 years ago! Where does the time go?

I know, an HO model on an S scale layout. Well, I like to think that I was a progressive modeler at an early age, using forced perspective before it was widely known or practiced.:D

Thanks guys. The biggest thing left is more trees and finding the right combo of locos to run where.

Espeefan,
Unfortunately, I can't say much about the saddle tank switcher. I was doing some work on it for a friend. What I do know is that it's an 0-6-0, DC, and brass. It is an older model, but I don't know who made it.

Thanks guys. The biggest thing left is more trees and finding the right combo of locos to run where.

Espeefan,
Unfortunately, I can't say much about the saddle tank switcher. I was doing some work on it for a friend. What I do know is that it's an 0-6-0, DC, and brass. It is an older model, but I don't know who made it.

Brass is what I was looking for. It was imported by Westside models, and is one of three shop switchers they brought in. These were used at the engne facility to drag dead locos around. I happen to have one. Did you get it running?

Here's mine:

217photo.jpg

I got it running, but not very well. All I had to do to get it running was clean the wheels REALLY well and lubricate it, and it ran a bit jerky (possibly due to my trackwork), but otherwise OK.

At this point it's just adding more trees, finishing the tunnel portals, and finding the right locomotive combos to run on the layout. I may do other bits and pieces here and there, but that's all that's actually planned.

At this point it's just adding more trees, finishing the tunnel portals, and finding the right locomotive combos to run on the layout. I may do other bits and pieces here and there, but that's all that's actually planned.

If you're looking for advice on loco combos I'd say that little SW on the video is a pretty good start. I'd stick with four axle power or if steam, nothing bigger than a 2-8-0. I saw that you belong to a club, right? I'd save all that 6 axle stuff for the club, as well as those big cylindrical hoppers. I'd use 40 ft boxcars and two bay hoppers, and maybe some 60 ft passenger cars if you want any passenger stuff. That stuff will fit better. The big stuff makes the layout look small, and I'd think you'd want to avoid that. Just my $.02!

I do something similar. All the 4-8-4's, the E-units, and the 85 ft passenger cars go to the club. 2-6-0's, 4-6-0's and SW's or GPs at home!

Back