Anyone Using Kato Uni-Track? Pics Please!

brooksie

I am getting back into the hobby after about 15 years or so away. All of my old Atlas track got ruined in a house flood 6 years ago. I purchase some Kato track, primarily so I could set it up on a table or floor and maintain my locomotives, some of which are over 30 years old.
So...I could use some photo inspiration of Kato Uni-Track used in semi-prototype layouts and could use your feedback, pros and cons and what tricks you may use to model with this handy track.
Thanks!!

There is a guy on YouTube that I follow named NSTrainFan. He has some videos on using and ballasting Kato Uni-track. It looks like pretty nice stuff, and I have read nothing but good things about it.

There is a guy on YouTube that I follow named NSTrainFan. He has some videos on using and ballasting Kato Uni-track. It looks like pretty nice stuff, and I have read nothing but good things about it.
Thanks for the link. I checked him out and he does a real nice job with Kato track! I like his small layout because he has a good eye for detail and does very solid work The You Tube thing opened up a lot of ideas. You know, when I started into N Scale in 1980, the internet was not even around. What a great thing for research. Makes this even more fun! Thanks!!

Mike Fifer of Fifer Hobby Supply has an extensive set of videos on You Tube regarding his use of Unitrack on his home layout. It is outstanding. Just search under Fifer Hobby.

I can relate my dad's recent experience with using Bachmann EZ track to build a layout. He made his layout with EZ track, and although it does function, he wishes he did not do it. From what I have heard the KATO stuff is a bit better than B EZ track, but still suffers from the same major drawback, which is that when you are making layout, which will not conform to the dimensions of the snap together track, you end up having to cut this stuff and it ends up being a royal PITA. In addition to this issue you are forcing yourself to have many more joints than if you used flex. These little "ticks" between each section add up and the end effect is that you have a track that is not as smoothly operating compared to using regular flex and turnout construction. What it boils down to is this: The plastic roadbed track systems are great for making "on-the-floor" layouts around the Christmas tree and such, but if you are making a permanent layout you will save lots of time and money and end up with a far superior layout if you go with flex/roadbed construction.
You make a lot of good points. I laid out the bit of Kato track I've used since the flood took all my old buildings and snap track from my large layout (6 years ago) and took stock of what I have.
Cons: It is limiting because of the lack of flex track or a good variety of +19" fixed radius. Wiring turnouts and track sections will be over complicated and expensive using Kato components. Roadbed is fairly steep compared to roadbed/cork I have used in the past, creating a strange look when figures are brought into play. There are no manual switches.
Pros: The track tie spacing looks great when compared to Atlas flex or Snap track. The switches do not have those oversize switch machines and work smoothly. No need for pounding itty bitty nails into poorly drilled holes in flex track ties.
My past layouts were 4 x 13 and a large 8 x 13 walk inside with a wye extension. I used Atlas snap track and flex track and found it simple, inexpensive and functioned OK. I am also very familiar with their wiring methods, which are as easy as it gets and all you really need is a $10 spool of wire to do any layout.
I think the Kato served its purpose, which was to keep my interest alive and let me run some engines on the floor or table to keep them in working order. I Like using Atlas track and manual switches for reachable areas because of the simplicity and reliability but have not found anything even remotely prototypical to use.
I really need to do the homework to decide exactly what my ground work will consist of. I want to do a 1950's era Pennsy based road with loco service/roundhouse, large through yard and sweeping curves with 19" minimum on mainline. Kato track may be difficult to use.
Thanks!

Mike Fifer of Fifer Hobby Supply has an extensive set of videos on You Tube regarding his use of Unitrack on his home layout. It is outstanding. Just search under Fifer Hobby.

Thanks for the info. I have seen his site along with a few others using Kato. That's what is making the next decision so difficult: which track to use. It's a big one and I want to do it right.
One option I have looked at is Kato on Main Line and Atlas/flex in yards and service areas using Kato adapter tracks. I think that may over complicate things, however.
Thanks for the info!!

Looking at my box of stuff, there is some Atlas Code 55 in there. Looking at the old Walthers 2009 Catalog, this seems to have a good amount of variety and looks good. What is your experience with running trains on this Code 55 track?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you trust the opinion of somebody that is selling the product in question? I am not saying the Unitrack is garbage or anything, but why spend more for something that costs more and then end up with a lesser product when you are done (doing more work) than just doing it the regular way? When you take in the total amount of effort to build a layout, the time saved by having sections of track that snap together is completely insignificant.

I think you'll find out that there are thousands of RR modelers who also like Unitrack. One of the wonderful things about this hobby is that there are many ways to construct and operate a rewarding layout.

From what I have seen you can build some very realistic layouts with it. But you can do that with much cheaper track. I am not knocking anyone for using it. But I just don't really see the point based on the added cost of Uni-track, especially when you lose the flexibility of flex-track. If I were just building a layout where the track remained dynamic and I changed the track plan all the time I would definitely use Uni-track. But gluing it down and ballasting it... I am going to go with Peco or Atlas and cork every time.

That's just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I've used N scale Unitrack on two layouts, (The "Original" JJJ&E (over 9 years) and the "new" JJJ&E finishing 5 years. I've completely ballasted and weathered the Unitrack on both layouts. The "new" JJJ&E is an around the room layout in the shape of an inverted "U" in a train room 21'x12'. The radii used on the layout are 30 inches and 23-24 inches in the two turnaround areas. Below is a photo in one turnaround area east of the town of San Marino. At this point in time 98% of the basic scenery is completed. I am able to do anything I want with Unitrack using easements. The 30 inch radii used on the "new" JJJ&E enhances the performance of all my locomotives on the layout. The five "Big Boys" and the 6 "Challengers" are a joy to watch on the "new" JJJ&E. I've used over 1000 sections of Unitrack and 70 switches/turnouts on the layout.

http://powersteamguy1790snewjjje.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the advise. While no one here has provided any photos of their Uni-Track layout, you all have opened up avenues for viewing sites of those who have. The biggest issue I have with the track is the type of layout I am starting out to build. I don't know exactly what space I will be able to acquire from the "land office" boss, so I will do this project as a modular puzzle able to fit into a larger layout in each step. I have to have a minimum 19" radius for my two track mainline to run good looking trains, both freight and passenger, which makes it a bit harder to pick which track.
I read up on the Code 55 track I have and decided that I will not go that route, despite it having the largest amount of fixed radius track and turn outs available. I have some older equipment and can't see going through all the trouble of shaving spikes and modifying wheels and engines to make it work. Too much trouble.
I like the Kato but will probably not use it. Just too limited in the scope of track planning for the pike I intend to build. If I was going with a single track freight layout, I wouldn't hesitate to use it but not having flex track for +19" curves eliminates it.
This leaves good old Code 80. While it may not lend itself to prototypical purity, it does offer the largest amount of track sizes in the medium I am most familiar with: spikes and cork.
Now that I have decided to go that route, I discover that Atlas (the largest supplier of this type track) is hard to find, especially code 80 Custom Line turnouts. I am completely shocked to see this track shortage. Atlas train stuff is as part of model railroading as Lionel and now I am lucky to have a handful of track I had before the flood (like Noah in model railroad terms). I was able to pick up some flex track and fixed pieces but the lack of variety available will slow things down a bit. It will force me to do my track planning very carefully and simply. This can't hurt.
I will sell the Kato track I have once I get down the road a bit. I will wait and see if track availability improves. One can never tell if it may be needed.
I purchased the lumber needed to build my first section: transition era locomotive facility. That should keep me busy for the rest of winter while I wait for track availability to improve and work on my plan for the rest of the project.
I will post thoughts and progress and will be constantly asking for your help and great advise.
Thanks!!

Given Atlas's many manufacturing problems, I think that approach is as risky as any other at the moment, unless I had all the track I needed to do the whole layout. Don't forget about Peco track and switches-very reliable, also.

This hobby can be an obsessive distraction! As I begin to do track plans and look in my box of track, I realize that what was once taken for granted in our hobby (abundance of quality track) no longer applies.
the days of getting what ever you want when ever you want it seems to be over for Code 80. Atlas is a major disappointment.
Luckily I had some Atlas Code 80 in the magic box and was able to get a whole 10 pcs. of flex track.
Then I took inventory of the Uni-Track I invested in and came to this conclusion. I can do the loco facility and yard with Atlas Code 80 manual turnouts and ground throws and the main line in Uni-Track with electric switches. I can get my two track main line and a branch line loop and have all the open track running I can handle.
That will allow me to track plan the entire layout and build the loco facility now. the yard when I get the layout room ready and the main line when that is done.
First things first.

This hobby can be an obsessive distraction! As I begin to do track plans and look in my box of track, I realize that what was once taken for granted in our hobby (abundance of quality track) no longer applies.
the days of getting what ever you want when ever you want it seems to be over for Code 80. Atlas is a major disappointment.
Luckily I had some Atlas Code 80 in the magic box and was able to get a whole 10 pcs. of flex track.
Then I took inventory of the Uni-Track I invested in and came to this conclusion. I can do the loco facility and yard with Atlas Code 80 manual turnouts and ground throws and the main line in Uni-Track with electric switches. I can get my two track main line and a branch line loop and have all the open track running I can handle.
That will allow me to track plan the entire layout and build the loco facility now. the yard when I get the layout room ready and the main line when that is done.
First things first.

Why don't you try using Peco code 80/55 flex track. It is compatible with Unitrack by placing some cork road bed under the Peco Code 80/55 flex track. Unitrack rail joiners fit the Peco Code 80/55 flex track. The Peco Code 80/55 flex track is readily available.

Here is the 18 foot Switching Yard and Turntable area of the "new" JJJ&E. This is the left side of the layout. which is an inverted "U' Shape. All the Unitrack has been weathered and ballasted. I used Peco code 80/55 flex track in the 24 stall Roundhouse and the 10 holding tracks around the turntable. The Peco Code 80/55 easily mates with the Unitrack.

395769288.jpg

393096599.jpg

393654459.jpg

The locomotive holding tracks around the turntable are Peco code 80/55 flex track.
388191671.jpg

Why don't you try using Peco code 80/55 flex track. It is compatible with Unitrack by placing some cork road bed under the Peco Code 80/55 flex track. Unitrack rail joiners fit the Peco Code 80/55 flex track. The Peco Code 80/55 flex track is readily available.

Please pardon my ignorance on Peco track. Is it available in Code 80? Also, I am a big fan of manual switching on my small layouts. Do Peco Code 80 switches work OK with Caboose Industries ground throws? I have picked out track I will need for my track plan main line using Uni-Track, but have not spent the $300.00+ yet to do it.
If Peco is available in Code 80, do you think it would be good for everywhere on the layout? I have a small amount of Atlas stuff and a large amount of Uni-Track, but I want to be consistent as I can be and limit the types of track used. If the Peco stuff is as good as it looks and availability is good, I can sell off the Kato and Atlas and just go with that.
Thanks for the great photos and video. I wish I had the space and skill to pull off what you are doing. Keep up the great work!!!!

Edit remark: A little research and I see it is available in Code 80. EBay has a fair amount available as well. It looks like ground throws will work just fine, I use 218S already. Any remarks on the switches would help: electro vs. insulated. Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have looked into the Peco track pretty extensively. It is good quality stuff. I had originally planned to use it exclusively. But now I think I am going to hand lay my track instead.

Peco code 80/55 is code 80 track. Peco code 80 switches work with Caboose Industries ground throws. Peco code 80/55 track can be used on your entire layout. Thanks for the compliments about the photo's Brooksie.;) The photo's I posted are a small part of my layout, the "new" JJJ&E. :cool:

Peco code 80/55 is code 80 track. Peco code 80 switches work with Caboose Industries ground throws. Peco code 80/55 track can be used on your entire layout. Thanks for the compliments about the photo's Brooksie.;) The photo's I posted are a small part of my layout, the "new" JJJ&E. :cool:

Thanks for the help. I think I can probably get the job done with the PECO stuff. I like the Insulfrog for my layout. I will have a good size (for my history) yard and lots of stub yards and industrial switching but I have never had dead frogs with Atlas, which seems like Insulfrog type. I will probably go with Some of the atlas and Peco. I will try some out soon.
Please post a link to you videos, if you have one. I like to watch trains run. It is inspirational to see such good work. Stay warm!

Thanks for the help. I think I can probably get the job done with the PECO stuff. I like the Insulfrog for my layout. I will have a good size (for my history) yard and lots of stub yards and industrial switching but I have never had dead frogs with Atlas, which seems like Insulfrog type. I will probably go with Some of the atlas and Peco. I will try some out soon.
Please post a link to you videos, if you have one. I like to watch trains run. It is inspirational to see such good work. Stay warm!

I'm glad I could help you out Brooksie. I don't have any videos of my layout. However you can see my layout in the photo's on my two websites listed below in my signature. :cool:

Why would you trust the opinion of somebody that is selling the product in question?
Well in my opinion you would do so because I have used over 1000 feet of it on two separate layouts and I can truly say it is the easiest way to lay track and run reliably.
How much have you used??
Yes I have used Atlas , Peco 55 and 80 as well as Model Power and Bachmann.
I do have a small amount of experience as do others here.

Mike

Back