anyone use flatcars for Harvester loads

I want to have a whole train with multiple cars with Case Harvesters. does anyone have this in their layouts? if so what type of cars do you use?

I want to have a whole train with multiple cars with Case Harvesters. does anyone have this in their layouts? if so what type of cars do you use?

You can use Intermountain flats if you want high detail or if you want to go with something cheaper then use Atlas Trainman cars.

I didn't see mention of scale or time period, but Mark had good suggestions. I have a few JDeere combines on Atlas flats that are aimed at 70's time frame. Most loads of that type I see now are on 89' flatcars. For mine I used 3 flats for 2 combines. I mounted the combines with wheels and heads off, then stacked the wheels on the flat with the combine, then mounted the 2 heads on the 3rd flatcar.

A friend of mine used to load a combine on a four truck low center flatcar like the one pictured below. I don't know if that's prototypical in the slightest, but nothing on his layout was ;)

img11120.jpg

________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by a moderator:
HO scale and modern. I picked up some Case harvester from matchbox. I know they arent 1/87 scale but they are close and the detail wasnt bad for $4.50.

I'd like to see a video of these units being loaded onto the flatcars.

A YouTube search didn't return any positive matches, but I did find this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60aGn9O7N6o

Imagine how much manpower and time it would have taken just 100 years ago to harvest just what was harvested during this video. Our machinery is awe inspiring, even in such rudimentary and mundane tasks.
________
VAPORIZERS REVIEWS

Last edited by a moderator:

Back