Anyone recall what Labelle oil # used to be?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Blues909

I only remember the 106 grease and from what's left of the oil bottle label it was 108 now I see 107 for HO and larger and 108 for small HO what ever that means. They don't define them other than one being a lighter weight oil . Mine was so old from the mid 80's it looked like it changed with sort of a film at the top and I know oil degrades over time. I opened the old 106 grease about a year ago and it was still sealed yet it was not white more of a gold color and thick , can't say if it changed being sealed I never used it since Athearn always lubed the trucks so I never bothered I just lubed the motor bearings and worm bearings and sometimes the axle bearings and none of my diesel's have been run much some were never run on track. I emailed LaBelle for an answer, thought I'd ask here since there are some old guys well past 60 like me. I just bought the 108 and 106 because on Amazon the two are less money and they don't sell the 107 other than in the three pack For $30.

Last edited:

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
William: I have a twenty plus year old plastic tube of the LaBelle Lube on my work bench-work. A plastic tube with a needle applicator. It still works great. I also have some old gear lube that is still in a condition to use.

I think that the new lubes, especially grease do not harden or degrade over time like the older versions had a tendency to age.

Side note: I have a .38 Special wheel revolver that I sprayed with WD-40 for storage. When I checked on the weapon it was frozen solid and the cylinder doesn't turn. I think there was a chemical reaction of some kind between what I used prior on the weapon and the application of the WD-40.

Greg

Last edited:

Blues909

William: I have a twenty plus year old plastic tube of the LaBelle Lube on my work bench-work. A plastic tube with a needle applicator. It still works great. I also have some old gear lube that is still in a condition to use.

I think that the new lubes, especially grease do not harden or degrade over time like the older versions had a tendency to age.

Side note: I have a .38 Special wheel revolver that I sprayed with WD-40 for storage. When I checked on the weapon it was frozen solid and the cylinder doesn't turn. I think there was a chemical reaction of some kind between what I used prior on the weapon and the application of the WD-40.

Greg

My oil and grease are over 35 years old. The oil was ok yet old and the grease turned thick and yellow , I never opened the grease #106 and when I did cut the tip open it was so thick the bottom seam of the tube burst open. The new grease it white and the oil needle is a push on to a plastic cap rather than a screw on metal cap with a plastic red needle cap the new one is black rubber. The bottles ae the same.

GeeTee

My oil and grease are over 35 years old. The oil was ok yet old and the grease turned thick and yellow , I never opened the grease #106 and when I did cut the tip open it was so thick the bottom seam of the tube burst open. The new grease it white and the oil needle is a push on to a plastic cap rather than a screw on metal cap with a plastic red needle cap the new one is black rubber. The bottles ae the same.
I have some thats about 30 years ago and bought some new the other day , 107 is about the same as 3N1 its a light machine oil ,lighter than 30W ,probably 5 - 10 W ?, 108 is extremely light , close to diesel fuel it may even be #2 diesel or even heating oil / #1 diesel very low paraffin content .

WD40 contains xylene along with oil , its a solvent mixed with oil , xylene aka dio sol is fairly hot solvent that breaks up paraffin . paraffin is essetially wax , the more wax an oil has the heavier it is , when its mostly wax its grease. Paraffin is what slows the evaporation of the oil and acts as a moisture barrier . The WD40 removes the moisture barrier leaving a light oil behind , which itself evaporates quickly. WD 40 is a good degreaser , you can spray a hole right thru an asphalt shingle in no time .

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.