Anyone interested in a caboose?

posse

I always thought they were for climbing onboard from the ground when the cab was moving. Less likely to miss it on the fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to our scrap prices here in Alberta ($70/ton) and this caboose weighing approx 60 000 lbs, the scrap value would be around $2100...so Im thinkin $2500 would prolly buy it. Its a good thing I dont live nearby cause this thing would be landing in my backyard Monday mornin...haha

I looked yesterday, at are local middleman, and iron was $12 a hundred which is $120 a thousand which is $240 a ton. So scrap price for the cab down here would be around $7200. I'm sure Iowa would be similer.

The old IMRL 10 (ex SOO 124) caboose that has been sitting in Mason City, IA, has now been delivered to Clayton Co. Recycling center in Monona, IA. I just talked to the owner this morning and he said they have no immediate plans for the caboose. If some one is interested in buying the car, he is willing to sell it.
Did he mention a price? Is it able to go through interchange like it shows in one of the the pictures or is it a piece of junk now?

This would make one hell of a great layout room...with the coffee room upstairs!!
No, it wouldn't. Cabooses (well train cars in general) are only 9 feet wide. Then there is the door that is centered in the short wall. Very bad space for a layout either around the wall or centered scenarios. Then this one has the cupola more centered so there is not even room for a 4x16 on one side. Then the cupola is not a 2nd story, it is more like a balcony. One could not put a room up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to buy and sell these things, still do from time to time.
There are actually two scrap prices to consider here.
The first as has been mentioned is the intake scrap price which is what the scrappers are paying.
Then there is the outgoing scrap price, which is what the scrappers get from the mills.

An example is if I can snag a railcar from the RR's before "Mr Torch" gets it I pay what Mr Torch will pay the RR.
If it goes inside the gates it is now officially scrap and I have to pay what the mill has to pay Mr Torch for his product.

And yes the curved handrails are for grabbing on the run.
Nice looking cab, unforunately shipping really adds to the final cost.

No, it wouldn't. Cabooses (well train cars in general) are only 9 feet wide. Then there is the door that is centered in the short wall. Very bad space for a layout either around the wall or centered scenarios. Then this one has the cupola more centered so there is not even room for a 4x16 on one side. Then the cupola is not a 2nd story, it is more like a balcony. One could not up a room up there.

Hmmm...well the layout inside this caboose must be nothing like a regular caboose that I rode around in lots then. In a regular caboose the floor for the cupola is about 5' off the main floor, and I realize there is a door on both ends in the center, so block one off and have an around the walls layout thats about 6' short of one door...

If 9x28 is not a good layout room then either are the many 8x12's out there...

Hmmm...well the layout inside this caboose must be nothing like a regular caboose that I rode around in lots then. In a regular caboose the floor for the cupola is about 5' off the main floor, and I realize there is a door on both ends in the center, so block one off and have an around the walls layout thats about 6' short of one door...

If 9x28 is not a good layout room then either are the many 8x12's out there...
Oh, I suppose if one closes off the external door on the "long" end. Make a U shaped layout that is 9x14 there. The opening of the "U" is toward cupola, so one can enter the short side exterior door. Put a work shop in the short side next to the bathroom, then walk through the cupola into the layout area. And, of course, doing N-scale it wouldn't be bad.

Did he mention a price? Is it able to go through interchange like it shows in one of the the pictures or is it a piece of junk now?

No, I have not asked about the price.

The caboose is still in fairly good condition. We pulled it down the rails 100 mi to the scrapper. As far as I know, it last saw regular service in 1995 and has been sitting ever since. Surprisingly, there is very little rust on it.

Back