Anyone have, or know of any Greasley LNER coaches for sale?

dgrafix

Aparently the teak carriages that were on the garter blue A4 steam record breaker "Mallard" are no longer made. I could get away with the BR crimson brown ones after it was painted BR green and served GWR(?) but it would be nice to have its original ones. I can buy them as part of a collectors set at 500 quid with a Britannia or another A4 but i am not -that- far up the rich4luxury scale. So am looking for some used ones, even with a bit of damage.
Alternatively anyone know of anywhere that provides 3D print data for this sort of thing? As i know a guy with a printer.
PS: Aparently i learned today it was painted black during WW2 and was on other duty according to "legend"... On the wiki page there is a big gap between 1938 (the record set) and 1948. Wonder what it did in between, it is not that easy to find info :confused:

Last edited:
Aparently the teak carriages that were on the garter blue A4 steam record breaker "Mallard" are no longer made. I could get away with the BR crimson brown ones after it was painted BR green and served GWR(?) but it would be nice to have its original ones. I can buy them as part of a collectors set at 500 quid with a Britannia or another A4 but i am not -that- far up the rich4luxury scale. So am looking for some used ones, even with a bit of damage.
Alternatively anyone know of anywhere that provides 3D print data for this sort of thing? As i know a guy with a printer.
PS: Aparently i learned today it was painted black during WW2 and was on other duty according to "legend"... On the wiki page there is a big gap between 1938 (the record set) and 1948. Wonder what it did in between, it is not that easy to find info :confused:
Only ones I can find are these, so don't know if you could use them.

During WWII, nearly all locomotives were painted in what's called Wartime Black, in an attempt to camouflage them from any night time enemy aircraft.

I'm given to understand but I'm not sure, the LNER office which kept records of all their locomotives at the time was either destroyed by bombing, or an accidental fire towards the end of the War.

It's duties would have included, General Freight, Ammunition, Coal, Heavy Equipment (Tanks/Artillery), Troop Transport, Hospital Train and Passenger traffic

Due to it's tractive power it's likely to have been used for transporting Coal, Heavy Equipment and Ammunition than anything else.

I'm led to believe that it was, but unsure if it's correct, used to move returning troops from Dunkirk, not from Dover, as that would have been way outside her normal operating area, but possibly from London northwards.

Fun Fact.

The white lines (now yellow) that are still seen in British Rail Stations were introduced in several small towns during the war, as a means for passengers to see where the edge of the platform was during a blackout, this was later introduced nationwide.

Last edited:
LNER teak carriages are available on 'fleabay'.

As for during WW2 the railways came under the Railway Executive Committee -

Locomotives and rolling stock of all Companies could be seen 'anywhere'.

David
Thanks for the correction.

Thanks everyone.
I have issues using Ebay these days because they charge me 25% (VAT for Sweden) and unless the seller is a registered business with an ISOSS number then unless they mark it as Gift which hardly any do then i have to pay 25% VAT AGAIN when it gets held up at customs. It is a shame because loads of train stuff from UK on Ebay as between the UK and Germany those are the best go-toos in Europe.
Unfortunately every time I buy stuff from the UK since end of Brexit "transition period" back in... Jan of last year? I have the same problems as if i buy from China or USA and on occasion have ended up paying 50%!! :eek: where the seller has not done it properly. Customs says to claim it back from Ebay and Ebay say customs should pay it, so you end up going round in circles so much you ed up thinking "ugh whatever!" :rolleyes:
Next time im in UK visiting mum i will have a blast and get it delivered there a couple of weeks prior :D

Last edited:

Back