Any Mining/logging Modelers Here?

HOexplorer

Hi, I'm Jim from SoCal. I'm a new HO modeler who is interested in mining and logging layouts. I have a small bedroom at my disposal and have tinkered with other scales. Age and arthritis has forced me to try HO. Just can't grip the fiddly bits anymore. I'm new here and hopefully this photo will show up. It is the plan of my mining layout. I would like to hear your input good or not so good about it. Thanks, Jim:)
IMG_2250.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is interesting. 32 views and no replies. You don't have to be into mining or logging to comment on the plan do you? Jim:confused:

It looks like there are going to be some pretty tight curves in there. Just looking at the SE corner, the outer loop looks like it may be 18" radius, perhaps 20", and inside even tighter. What type of locos are you planning on running? The tighter radii curves may not be a problem if you're planning on running only shays.

Where is the mine ore going? Are you going to have some plants/industries in the SW corner?

Also, by my calculation the rise from 4" to 6.5" in the SW corner is roughly a 4% grade. That's pretty steep.

Are the numbers changes in elevation? If so, you are going to have alot of curves, changes in elevation around turnouts. Is that ok???

Ian, Thanks for being first and with some good comments. The curve in the SE corner is already laid out. The bench work is left over from an N layout I did. The curves are Atlas Code 83 15" radius. I laid this first to make sure my locos would get around. I have all Bachmann Spectrum locos. One is a two-truck Climax, another is a three-truck Shay, and the best of the bunch is a three-truck Heisler. The rest of the layout features Atlas Code 83 flex track. Turnouts will be Atlas Code 100 #4s. All will be appropriatley filed down to meet the Code 83.
The ore is going to a Dolly Varden like ore tipple which will be built out into the water. This layout portrays a small mining operation in 1931 in SE Alaska up one of the fjords. Times were hard and money scarce. I will attempt to scratch build just about everything. I do have the "Lucky Jack Mine" kit. All the rest will be scratch except one through truss bridge.
The name of the layout is the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Company. I'm familiar with layout construction and I will deviate somewhat from more tradition rock castings and carboard latice type construction. Also, I will have to make about 200 Caspia fir trees. Scenery is my specialty and I hope you all will enjoy my efforts.
Lastly because of my small bedroom I will indeed have one very steep grade. You mentioned 4%, I think it will be about 6%. I have tested the locos on 6% and the Heisler goes up with no problems even to 7%. The Shay starts stalling at 6% and the Climax is a no go. To solve this problem is easy. The Climax will only run on the highest part of the layout. The Heisler will deliver only empties up the grade to the Climax and bring full ore cars down the grade. The Shay will run only on the tracks below the grade. The locos will never turn around, simply back and forth. I hope this makes sense. The layout is DCC. Thanks, Jim:)

Devin, Thanks for the comments. No mainline curves are less than 15" radius and all the locos negotiate them. The numbers are approximate heights above 0". I do see a problem with the turnout leading into the SW mining area. Grade is about 4% there. I think I can make it work. Thanks, Jim:)

Well, this is a good question and I don't know that I can give you a satisfactory answer. The main reason, of course, is I think that the Code 83 simply 'looks better' to me. With paint and clever scenery effects I hope to reduce the oversize Code 100 turnouts to a manageable optical illusion.

Second, is I'm brand new to HO, I did some questioning and found this would be the most logical solution to needing sharp curves. I do have two Code 83 turnouts. One is a curved and the other is a #6.

Third, I don't have the the dexterity to handlay track. So there you are. Best I could do in the space available to me. Jim:)

You don't have to file down the code 100 track to match it up with code 83.

Just lift the code 83 track up with a small piece of styrene, until the joint is smooth, and then solder the joint (on the outside edge of the rails) with the rail joiners in.

Who knew? My LHS, which I support, seems to have not told me this when I asked about Code 83 to 100! Check out my PCM&T building thread. Jim :confused:

Back