Any John Allen fans here??

Ok, so you had better tell the story for those that don't know.

The story of the "Ruptured Duck" is it was a open air railcar on John's narrow gauge railroad. Coach passengers rode in the center while first class ticket holders were afforded seats under an awning.The driver was armed with a shotgun and there was an armed guard on the back to protect the passengers from bandits in the high country. :eek: :p

Was this the one that had such a small motor in it that to get it moving, John had to always give it a small push? I don't remember from the book.

Was this the one that had such a small motor in it that to get it moving, John had to always give it a small push? I don't remember from the book.

I really wouldn't know, as I don't have the "Book" myself. Maybe Tooter would know for sure. :p

The photo I found in the book appears to be yet another car and is shorter and does not have the luggage attachment on the rear. . The #6 is not on the one I am looking at but the book does indicate that the car had a "gap ring motor" built by a Mr Cliff Grandt (hmmm). It also says that the car required a bit of a push to get it going but the Gorre and Dapethid RR president Mr M H Vanderlip rode in cool shade under the awning. All the gap rings ones were on the narrow gauge portion. It's on page 60 of the newer edition. The photo of the hostlers lashing down a stegosaurus on a flatcar is pretty entertaining as well. I beleive it ws a Varney ad. That's on page 69.

Another thing of interest in there to me was that John did not airbrush his engines, but used a brush on all of them. It is such a great book telling the story and showing the pictorial evolution over 25 years.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing of interest in there to me was that John did not airbrush his engines, but used a brush on all of them.

I always learn something new everytime I look at his work. Did you know that there is a wiener dog in his "Varney Docksider" ad? Plus there's a rather well endowed woman on the tracks by the turntable. :eek: :p :D

g &d fan for life

Have been an admirer of the G&D for 45 years,have "The book' vhs,dvds and pics HO SCALE, PASSENGER CARS,BOX TANK,GODOLAS AND FLAT CARS cant get enough! JOHN ALLEN along with GEORGE [TOO-MANY DETAILS} SELLIOS .TO ME ARE THE TRUE INSPIRATIONS OF THE HOBBY.....DURING MY ERA. WHAT A TRAGIC ENDING TO THE G&D. ONLY IF.............

I always learn something new everytime I look at his work. Did you know that there is a wiener dog in his "Varney Docksider" ad? Plus there's a rather well endowed woman on the tracks by the turntable. :eek: :p :D
When I get to reading the Criticism's of Allen, they invariably focus with a good deal of "Harrumphing" on the lack of adherence to the prototype in microscopic glory. For me, the prototype is a safety zone where you can pick over endless details to find flaws in the layout without ever seeing the inherent beauty of the modeler just wanting to do it.

John clearly demonstrates that he had the skills to model the prototype. He chose not to. In that lies the charm for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I first became a fan of his from the wonderful book. Part of my background is as a frustrated 2nd unit cinematographer(special effects photography). He was also a good photographer, and his layout was designed with photography in mind. His lighting, backgrounds and use of mirrors was brilliant. He never allowed people to smoke near his layout for fear of altering colors, gumming up the track, or coating light bulbs with that thin layer of tar. John Allen single handedly changed how people did model railroading from trainboards to the advanced construction we use today. George Sellios' layout has a similar 'look' to it but he has the advantage of 30 years of progress, technology etc. While JA's layout doesn't always look 'real' is does have a magnificent grand look.

On the other side of the spectrum was Jack Parkers layout. His modelling was sparse, but he followed prototype in telephone pole spacing, and his layout also had a specific 'look' to it, of the northwest, with the cloudy sky, obvious recent rain and such. Much of the illusion is from the scenery and background and how well it melds with the track work and structures.

Jeez, My layout is inextricably entwined with the woodstove in the basement that makes all the hot water for this 210 year old farmhouse. I have a feeling it's probably as bad as any other smoke even though it runs pretty clean... for a woodstove.

Back