Antique Help!

I ran across this engine in an old box of train stuff that was packed away many years ago (10+) I'm pretty sure that it is older than myself.

Its got a athearn like setup on the motor, however instead of a gearbox, it originally had two rubber bands. between the end of the motor and the axle. This was a VERY inefficient setup. The rubber bands have since rotted off. I would really like to make this a operational unit again. Add DCC, and functioning lights and such. Would be a neat model to have running around.

Anybody have some thoughts on how to correct the problems ?? Here's some pics.

The really only way you could correct this engine would be to repower it, there's nothing much that can be done with the rubber band drive. Ernst has (or used to) a replacement geared drive but it's so weird and fincky that I wouldn't suggest it. The model looks like a later version of the Hustler by Athearn, I have a few of the much older and simpler ones. The drive shafts from the motor are just plain metal shafts onto which the rubber bands wrap around.

Not saying this cannot be made to operate with DCC, but it probably would not be worth the effort. I think one manufacturer offered at one time a replacement power unit for the Hustler but don't recall who it was. Would probably cost as much as a new larger engine.

Good luck!

I agree, the Ernst regear thing is noisy and finicky, the original rubber band drive is (was) jerky.
Best bet would be a drive from another model, or a home-groan contraption.
Could be a cool project, I love little critters!
Rico
BTW, I could sell you the drive from the real mcoy if you'd like! :)

It's a later version Athearn Hustler. You can buy them new for around $20.

The Ernst gear drive costs more than the loco sells for.

I've got a couple of bags of the rubber bands for the drive. I've had them for a couple of years, so they probably aren't any good now.

I've been told you can use the little rubber bands used for pony tails in hair. I haven't tried it.

Rotor

Back