Antennas...?

Dsquared_sleeperMSP

1:87 truck GuRu
I'm trying to find a company that makes vehicle antennas...or some ideas of things I could use instead...? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

For HO, get some 16 gauge stranded wire. Strip off the insulation and use one strand per antenna. It's almost the exact scale size for HO. I leave a little insulation at the base to simulate a mount. paint the wire silver and drill a #70 hole where you want the antenna. Apply a drop of CA and slip it in the hole. Presto, you've now got an antenna. :) I used this process for the antennas on the police cars in the attached photo.

I've used very fine bristles from nylon or other synthetic brooms/brushes. Nice and flexible. Also small fibre optic strands.

Bob, I've tried both brush bristles and fiber optic strands. They do have the advantage of being flexible - too flexible. I've never been able to get them to stand up straight for a vehicle antenna.

BOC, floral wire is HUGE for an HO vehicle antenna. Works great for TV or radio communications antennas on buildings but it scales out to about 3 inches in diameter so it would look like a broom stick on a vehicle. Even the single strands of 16 gauge wire are slightly oversized but they are about as small as you can easily work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I make mine is to heat an old model parts tree and stretch it til it is hair fine. This typically yeilds several antenas and doesn't cost a cent.

Hmm, never thought of that idea, Wastrel. The only thing I'd worry about is the plastic being too brittle and breaking easily. Have yours held up well?

Believe it or not, the plastic is so thin after stretching that it is extremely flexible. I'm talking to the point that you could almost tie it in a knot. Yet at the same time there is enough memory in the plastic that it stands up and holds its shape nicely.
The way I do mine is I heat the tree, stretch the plastic vertically to as near the breaking point as I can get it, let it cool while it hangs to ensure I get as straight a piece as possible, then trim out as many antennas as I can get. If you want a nice looking base, strip a small section of 24 guage wire and use the stripped portion for your base. Painted silver this looks remarkably like a coil spring used on many of the older whip style antenas.
For newer, k40 style antenas, place a small blob of glue 2/3 of the way up the antena, let dry, then paint the antena silver and the blob either black or red. The k40 is a popular antena used by truckers.

Believe it or not, the plastic is so thin after stretching that it is extremely flexible. I'm talking to the point that you could almost tie it in a knot. Yet at the same time there is enough memory in the plastic that it stands up and holds its shape nicely.
The way I do mine is I heat the tree, stretch the plastic vertically to as near the breaking point as I can get it, let it cool while it hangs to ensure I get as straight a piece as possible, then trim out as many antennas as I can get. If you want a nice looking base, strip a small section of 24 guage wire and use the stripped portion for your base. Painted silver this looks remarkably like a coil spring used on many of the older whip style antenas.
For newer, k40 style antenas, place a small blob of glue 2/3 of the way up the antena, let dry, then paint the antena silver and the blob either black or red. The k40 is a popular antena used by truckers.

I've seen that method under a "tips" section in (I believe) 1-87vehicles.org. I guess AutoMobilia has some, but they seem to be difficult to find. I'm probably going to try strip fine gauge wire for now.

Back