another sad MTH TALE

...I've since acquired a few more DCC/sound-equipped units, but the cost of converting 50-odd DC units, as well as the time it would take to convert, makes complete conversion impracticable. ...

Actually, its not impractical, as I am doing the same thing. You don't convert all at once and they don't all have to be sound units. About every other month, I pick up a decoder, and set it aside to go into one of my 50 yo steamers. So far, I've converted 25 of my own and have 15 left to do. I'm in no hurry but I do have almost enough decoders to finish the job.

Also I have 3 steamers that have the Cannon coreless motors in them, and in the almost 20 years I've been doing DCC, have never had a problem with overheating of coreless motors.

Actually, its not impractical, as I am doing the same thing. You don't convert all at once and they don't all have to be sound units. About every other month, I pick up a decoder, and set it aside to go into one of my 50 yo steamers. So far, I've converted 25 of my own and have 15 left to do. I'm in no hurry but I do have almost enough decoders to finish the job.

Also I have 3 steamers that have the Cannon coreless motors in them, and in the almost 20 years I've been doing DCC, have never had a problem with overheating of coreless motors.
a little at a time smart way to do it .... smal chunks :)

I'm glad that I am easy to please. I'll stick with my DC, put the locomotive on the track and watch it go. I have operated on layouts that had DCC with sound, it's nice, but I have seen so many posts with problems with DCC, I'm glad that I am not interested in changing. I am a lone operator, and for my type of layout, DC works fine.
That is not a very discerning reply. First, MTH does not have DCC they have their own proprietary digital command system that does not play well with DCC. Second, I believe I spend more time posting help message to people having trouble wiring reverse loops and cab control issues to people with DC problems than I do with people having problems with DCC.

In fact, most of the DCC questions I see fielded are about what they "should do" about this or that because most people insist on making it harder than it is.

When I built my latest (last?) layout, I set it up for DC blocks, with almost no thought of going to DCC. But I did want to have at least one diesel with sound.
So why did you think you had to have DCC to do that. I've had sound since 1983, a decade before DCC became a "standard". Grizzly Mountain had awesome units (better than any DCC sound) available until just last year. I still have 3 PFM units. Unfortunately the one I got out for Christmas Trains this year seems to have a capacitor leaking. It has a funny hummy buzz to it. Darn. But 1970 electronics (pre-IC) are bound to fail sooner or later.

but the cost of converting 50-odd DC units, as well as the time it would take to convert, makes complete conversion impracticable.
Why do you think a complete conversion is necessary. Once again I've been using command control since 1979 (CTC-16), then I upgraded to PMP-112 (1985), then I upgraded to Railcommand, now I am converting to DCC. I have NEVER converted the complete fleet. Probably never will. It isn't necessary. Just convert the locomotives that are needed as they are needed. I find it hard to believe you need 50 some odd units to operate your layout effectively.

I've got four steamers I kitbashed years ago, and they have 20mm Canon coreless motors, which I am told are more suseptable to overheating under DCC.
Whomever told you that is simply wrong. A DCC decoder puts out a much cleaner DC current than almost any MRC DC power pack on the market. Just put them on a oscilloscope and see for yourself. On the other hand hit them with the half wave "pulse" power of a straight DC throttle and see how quickly they go.

in some of the DCC units, and different manufacturers seem to take pleasure in programming the CV's somewhat differently.
???? What is it that you are wanting to change that requires changing specific CVs? All the systems these days just say program address? answer - yes. Enter Channel - type 1844. Done. One doesn't have to know what CVs were changed to what. I haven't directly changed a specific CV in over 10 years.

EDIT - I have to recant that last statement. In 2005 or 2006 when I was fighting one of those awful MRC decoders that Athearn used to put into Genesis locomotives I did try to program some CVs directly. It was to no avail but I did try it anyway. So I guess that is only 7 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Well at least he got it fixed by talking to MTH tech support. I always knew well along he probably didn't reset it back to defaults successfully. Anyone who has owned MTH knows you have to select loco 55 first. Very dis-concerning that they raised the price on these, yet they went with the older version of their decoder, with less features.

I listened to the comments by Maurice for three whole minutes, and then I had to stop. Good GAWD!!! First, you must only do this on a Tuesday, and it must be the first Tuesday after the first full moon in October. Next, you must stand on your right foot, put your left hand in your right pocket, and start hopping in a counterclockwise direction. Now, reach for the throttle paddle and begin to swing it in a wide arc from left to right across your front, dangling....

I listened to the comments by Maurice for three whole minutes, and then I had to stop. Good GAWD!!! First, you must only do this on a Tuesday, and it must be the first Tuesday after the first full moon in October. Next, you must stand on your right foot, put your left hand in your right pocket, and start hopping in a counterclockwise direction. Now, reach for the throttle paddle and begin to swing it in a wide arc from left to right across your front, dangling....

I had to ply myself with strong coffee.

If you have 45+ minutes to burn, watch both videos and listen carefully to the things he did, both after initial set up in the first video, and after MTH support in the second half of the second video. This is all about operator error. "Tweaking" this and "programming" that. You simply cannot treat a DCS loco like a fully DCC loco, especially with the first run, or "older" steam boards. After watching the first video, my immediate thought was he had either turned sound off (F6) or had cycled through volume (F7) to the lowest level, which is essentially off. Out of panic and frustration, he started his attempts to program and reprogram. I'm sure he received great instruction from the MTH tech over the phone. His loco was working fine. However, after more "tweaking," he was back to square one. And the sequence of steps he recited were way off base, at least from my experience. To all who watch those videos, take them with a grain of salt. Dude is clearly frustrated, but I think his frustration is a bit misdirected.

Remember this one? (you have to be older!) "Put it in a brown paper bag, go out in your front yard, wave it over your head and scream like a chicken!!!"

yea he did ramble more then a direct forward A CAUSED B SO I WENT TO C & CALLED TECH SUPPORT LOL
I cant believe that they went with the older board , that begs the question then, why did it take them 3+ years to come out with the second run of big boys if they were using parts they already have ???

Last edited by a moderator:
yea he did ramble more then a direct forward A CAUSED B SO I WENT TO C & CALLED TECH SUPPORT LOL
I cant believe that they went with the older board , that begs the question then, why did it take them 3+ years to come out with the second run of big boys if they were using parts they already have ???

I would say it's because they're now financially stretched after losing so much money on court cases.

They not only used an older cheaper board with less features. But they used cheaper paint, cheaper details, etc.

I just ordered me an Athearn Challenger. Not touching MTH any more.

UMMM where have I been??? I missed this thread. Well to each their own. Watched the vids and 100% user issues. I now have 17 MTH steamers. I am happy/not happy with them all the time. Just the way they are. I will say this though, the newest release of big boys, and challengers are a disappointment when comparing them to the earlier releases. I had a new release for a day or so. Took it back. Still, they are #2 to the PCM's IMO.
Guys lets face it, MTH didn't want to put the money into the steam sound boards to update them away from RAM style. We all know by now what you might get when you purchase one of these. (It's a leap of faith!) The info on these are all over the internet. You just have to weed through the opinions and get the facts. I have become very good at fixing these when I need to. At open house I watched 2 different one's start puking and I knew what they were before I even tore them apart. Take the DCS stuff out of them and they are very, very smooth running, good looking loco's. The sounds, to me, are well ahead of the Tsunami's. Again, my opinion. Love them or hate them, they sell like hot cakes. Cheers!!!

My one and only MTH steam engine is going to be lonely. And I cross my fingers (and anything else I can) every time I run it.

...I now have 17 MTH steamers. I am happy/not happy with them all the time. Just the way they are. I will say this though, the newest release of big boys, and challengers are a disappointment when comparing them to the earlier releases. I had a new release for a day or so. Took it back. Still, they are #2 to the PCM's IMO...

yea,
mr iroc, you are the reason i got bit by the love /hate bug of MTH lol

Sometimes you guys just make me laugh with your happy/not happy "relationship" with mth. If I owned even two locomotives that gave me the "happy/not happy", "love/hate" that you have with the mth loco's, I'd sell them ASAP, and would never buy another. I'm happy with every locomotive that I own, many of which, including 3 articulated locos, are brass. The rest are Bowser, & MDC kits. Even the few diesels I own, I'm happy with.

IMG_20130226_104324[1].jpgBut when i comes down to it you gotta love HER :cool::cool:

It's funny, but I like, or follow, several steam railroads with the UP being one of them. Yet, I have no Big Boy, and don't really care to have one. Challenger yes, the Hybrid Brass BLI TTT-6 yes, and I have the 4-12-2 on order...that is delayed like clockwork every four months.

Back