Another new member here...

TheOtherGoose

Hi everyone. I've been enjoying reading the forum for some time now and finally got signed up. Hopefully I can contribute to the forum, although I admit that my experience is limited.

I've been working on a small N-scale layout for almost two years now. Since I don't trust my layout abilities, I went with an Atlas N-scale plan called "Scenic & Relaxed". At 3' X 6', the layout provides enough elevation changes/interesting features without getting too big and expensive.

I'll be sure to post a pic or two of my progress...once I figure out how to post pictures. :)

Edit: Here's what I've got so far...

picture.php

...and another earlier view

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! Great little layout you have there, and the scenery looks very nice.

Well done...

Welcome to the forum. that is a great start there and you have done really well. You will pick up a lot of good information here.

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I've certainly got plenty to learn - my few attempts at weathering have been pathetic.

Yes, the layout is DCC. Unfortunately, I've been having difficulty getting the locos to respond smoothly to the DCC controller; since the layout is in the basement, the track seems to oxidizes very quickly. Even after passing a cleaner over the track the trains still stall and hesitate.

I'll be sure to post my newbie questions in the appropriate sub-forums.

Glad to be here!

Hi TOG,
Welcome to the forums and glad to have you. As Motley/Michael said, your layout looks great. As far as the stalling and erratic running you'll need to check to ensure there is power to all the sections and possibly it could be a loose rail joiner/s not transferring current properly? Also if you've made any solder connections be sure the solder joint is shinny looking and not dull and pimply looking which denotes a cold solder joint which conducts electricity very poorly. If that should be the case just reheat the iron and put a slight dab of flux on the bad joint and reheat it enough till the solder flows and then remove the heat and you'll have a good joint.

Take care and enjoy the forum.

Thanks, Trussrod. I'll check the power levels at various points in the layout. The DCC setup has me puzzled, since the stalling/stuttering never occurs in the same location.

I tried the burnishing technique mentioned in another thread; it made no difference. Frustrating.

Thanks, Trussrod. I'll check the power levels at various points in the layout. The DCC setup has me puzzled, since the stalling/stuttering never occurs in the same location.

I tried the burnishing technique mentioned in another thread; it made no difference. Frustrating.

Say Tog,
I was just woundering if possibly it might be dirty rail or drivers on the loco. While I'm still running DC I hear some things about DCC that I will pass on. Just today in talking with another MRR he was also saying that some of the DCC Controllers do make the locos stutter at a certain point as the power is increased.

So it may be just a normal thing especially if it happens at various locations.

Say Tog,
I was just wondering if possibly it might be dirty rail or drivers on the loco. While I'm still running DC I hear some things about DCC that I will pass on. Just today in talking with another MRR he was also saying that some of the DCC Controllers do make the locos stutter at a certain point as the power is increased.

So it may be just a normal thing especially if it happens at various locations.

I admit to wanting to try a new loco to "fix" the stuttering. Of course, getting a shiny new DCC loco in the process has nothing to do with it. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at the locos.

Back