Another hello from a newcomer.

bn-1000

Hi there from another newcomer returning to the hobby after a long break.

I have an interest in HO and I'm looking at buying some locos this week or the next, depending on funds. I'm looking at the Atlas Master Series, I'm not sure on which road name yet but I like either CSX, BN, or Norfolk & Western. I'm not really fussed which name.

In regards to my plans for a layout, I may only have the room for a switching layout measuring approximately 10 feet, so I'd imagine I would be running up to a maximum of three locos at any one time. After much reading on this forum, and general internet research, I have purchased an NCE PowerCab.

I also see there are some RC plane enthusiasts on this forum. I have just entered this hobby (money pit) also, with a Hobbyzone Super Cub LP! Still a bit dodgy on the whole landing techniques, but getting there.

Not much more to tell at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, Trucula.

I have picked up some Atlas C&I 70 ton hoppers today, and I've been on the hunt for Cambria and Indiana MP15-DC but they seem to be hard to get, so I might stick to a more common road name.

I picked up a good book today: "102 Realistic Track Plans" from Model Railroader magazine. It has given me some really good ideas.

Greetings Trucula...Welcome to the forums. A lot of great stuff here. A program for track planning you might like to try is called XTrackCAD. It's an easy to use interface you can download from the net. (FREE!!!) . It's at XTrackCAD.com I believe. You can design and printout track plans, with all brand of track stock available as source. It takes about an hour to get use to using it, but try little things to become familiar with it, then move on to bigger stuff. Anyways, welcome to the forums, :D

sp2562ani.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe-wthr1.gif
40ibreef_pfe1.gif

Cheers, Trucula.

I have picked up some Atlas C&I 70 ton hoppers today, and I've been on the hunt for Cambria and Indiana MP15-DC but they seem to be hard to get, so I might stick to a more common road name.

I picked up a good book today: "102 Realistic Track Plans" from Model Railroader magazine. It has given me some really good ideas.

Stephen

One thing with this hobby in recent years is, things come out for sale but are limited production, mainly loco's, so you have to grab one when you see it or they're gone.

Welcome bn-1000, one can not have too many hobbies... Lol.

Apparently you can, according to my good wife :D

One thing with this hobby in recent years is, things come out for sale but are limited production, mainly loco's, so you have to grab one when you see it or they're gone.

Ah yes, I am discovering that recently. Thanks for the confirmation :) Some internet sites say "Pre Order" but with an expected delivery date in Jan 2011, so I suspect they just haven't updated their websites? Or the delivery time has been delayed? I did like the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City MP15 also, but I think I missed the boat on that one too :(.

Anyway, I purchased a BN-1000 (my namesake) MP15 and it's cousin in CSX livery. I've actually had my eye on the BN-1000 for a few weeks hoping it wouldn't sell. I like the colors and I've done a bit of reading about the BN and CSX companies. I'm not sure if the two locos in existence at the same time, or even worked in the same yards in real life, but I'm not that fussed about it. And I may get a big loco, but I think I'll limit myself to a switching yard; 2-3 locos and an assortment of cars.

Thanks trainmastr1, I have started to use a couple of programs off the internet XTrackCAD and another one from Europe (I think) called SCARM. Actually I am leaning towards SCARM at the moment, but both are easy to use. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. There is no rush to complete a layout. My initial plan is to slowly build up a collection of cars and locos, put DCC decoders in them, maybe build a "test loop" (I have an old dining table in the garage to use) and learn about DCC. When I get bored with that (and the dining table is temporary as it will be going to the dump later this year) I'll look at the switching layout.

Back