An observation Re: Walther's 7808

Aerojet

As an old timer, I am still building Walther's cars I find on the net and sometimes "shorten" a few up for giggles. One thing I have noticed is this --

MY 7808, the Executive Observation car, which you have seen as RP & W car #2 must be unique. Why? I have a plastic monitor roof on it. I bought it in the late 70's so I know it is original - but every other car I have seen on Evil bay, and the net shows a wooden monitor roof.

Just a point in passing -- one cannot put a set of lights up in the wood roof due to clearance problems or the lights get squashed between the interior and the inside of the roof .... with the plastic roof there is a good hollow space up there to mount lights ...

IMG_0612.JPG

Just to remind you of what it looks like with the plastic roof. Yes it is warped in the middle. I guess that is the problem with that part.

ONE Other point. MY car is a 60 foot car, not 70 or larger. I am not sure of this was a changed product or what. The label on the box says -- "SF 60 foot business car 933-6663, less trucks, $14.50" ... Not to sure but I am willing to bet this is a real collector's item. Just my observation.

>>>> Inside clearance between the floor and the roof is 3/4" of an inch or 5 1/2 scale feet. The roof, the wooden one adds about another 1/'8 inch of clearance to that -- and most light sets need at least 1/4 of an inch to fit in. So on most of my wood roof cars I put in 2.5 mm bulbs with a reflector of aluminum foil on the roof inside and one per 30 feet of car to give even lighting. With the plastic roof I have the Walther's 933-717 Standard 2 bulb kit up there. It won't fit under the wooden roof unless you really carve out a pocket for it. <<<<

The Aerojet

In the 70s Walthers went on a ATSF passenger binge, and offered numerous Santa Fe prototype heavyweight passenger cars. This is within the same time frame that they did a early 1930s NYC 20th Century Limited, and US Army Hospital/Circus/Monon cars and Pullman "Betterment" cars. They also offered, a line of 60' car kits, to appeal to those cursed with sharp curves. I'm not sure if your 60' Office car is part of the ATSF line, or part of the 60' line. Either way, it hasn't been made since the Bicentennial.

The plastic roof came out during the 1970s, and was standard on all "new" kits. There was a problem with the plastic roofs warping.

Your model looks great, by the way. I have several betterment Pullmans to build, as well as one to rebuild. I use New England Rail Service parts instead of OEM parts in some cases. Keep up the good work

Boris

Back