An excellent way to have trains go through a backdrop.

Yes, indeed, Norden. I've spent many an hour there. That snowshed is about three miles long and the operator's are located in a "depot" deep within the bowels of the snowshed. The original Norden station burned down in 1961 and the SP built a new concrete snowshed and incorporated the depot in the snow shed. It's dark, dank, and smelly in there but it beats trying to stand out in five feet of snow with the wind blowing 60 mph trying to hand up a train order. :) It would make a good transistion into a viewblock for a layout since there's not a tunnel portal or anything complicated - just a big concrete box.

My dad used to work for the California Highway Dept. in the '40s thru the late '60s. Old U.S. 40 up there is a beautiful drive, and a nice lookout point over Donner Lake near the top. You can still throw snowballs up there into early June during some years. My dad was part of the rescue of the City of San Francisco during the winter of 1952.

I agree, I had to look twice to make sure it was real. I think looking at it from an elevated position would be a whole different story. There is a prototype for everything! It also reminds me to build my next layout at chest level instead of hip level.

Back