Amtrak's Piedmont Collides with Truck in NC Today

Uh oh... LATX is not gonna be very happy about this.:mad:

I didn't see any information on what caused it?

Obviously the investigation is underway, but it appears the train collided with a truck that was carrying an excavator.
Apparently the collision happened in downtown Mebane, with a grade crossing guarded on both sides with gates and flashers/bell. Mebane is a small, textile town near Burlington,NC (about 30 east of Greensboro).

If there is a silver lining in this, its that this is the stuff of my 4 year olds daydreams. It involves a train, a truck, and an excavator and they all wreck. :) I just hope everyone's ok.

money is that the lowboy got stuck on a hump in the crossing and was stranded?.... been there, done that, not fun!

money is that the lowboy got stuck on a hump in the crossing and was stranded?.... been there, done that, not fun!
Yes, that's what the truck driver said happened. He got stuck and couldn't move the rig. All he could do was watch the train coming at him.
Of course, he should have known about the crossing...

well being a trucker and one that has hauled just about every trailer you can think of. I can attest that many lowboy trailers often are only about 6"-12" of the ground (center of the trailer) trailer hight can depend on if the truck has spring or air ride suspension, machine is pushing the max hight restriction(13'-6") or is hauling a heavy load and is bending the center of the trailer. you can compensate the trailer hight with alot of newer trailers but many older ones you stuck with where it sits. I have come across many RR crossings that have no signs warning of a steep grade to and after the tracks. This has always been a problem and only truckers that know the aera will know what the trailer can or cant clear. being a good trucker i can scope out what will work, might work and what wont. 8 years ago I was dragged to a stop over a set of RR tracks. I was hauling a cat 963 track loader( about 90k gross truck weight) I came up to a intersection that parralled the tracks. I was making a right turn, went up over the tracks and I had to make another right just after the tracks. I had gone over this set of tracks many times with lighter machines and a simmilar model low boy trailer. So I thought it was safe with the 963. well as soon as my tractor went over the crossing the middle of the trailer slid across the pavment and I was dragged to a stop. knowing that I could change the hight of the trailer with the hyd system. I put the PTO in, got out and raised the deck a little relying on the hyd rams to hold the trailer up a few inches more to get over the hump. as soon as I was clear I got back out to lower the deck and let it rest metal to metal on the gooseneck. if a guy is in a hurry and does not know some simple tricks lowboys can get you stuck crawling over something as small as a large curb.

Been there... done that as well!
Most high centered RR crossings have warnings but not all:

Back