Amtrak!

Amtrak47

This is my Amtrak collection! My P42s, my Superliners, my Lake Shore Limited, and my AEM-7! And my little Hornby Pepsi tanker :D

Im officially jealous lol. Nice collection! What phases are those cars? We are doing a modern layout with an Amtrak station and I have been looking at some cars, but am getting sort of confused. Are the newest engines the phase V's, and the cars IV B's, or do they have phase V cars now?

thank you very much!

Those superliners are phase IV, the viewliner is phase IV. I have customized the 2 amfleet coaches into phase IVB. the amfleet lounge car is phase IVB. the baggage car is phase IVB.

The phase V p42s are the newer ones. Athearn has discontinued. But a re-release of them are expected late this year.

Walthers makes the superliners in both phase IV and IVB. They discontinued both. But kato (ho scale) is coming out with phase IVB superliners may 2013 -do not give walthers any money-

In real life, there are no more phase IV superliners, only phase IVB, same as the amfleets and viewliners.

Does that cover it? lol :D:p

Yes it does! haha, that is basically the conclusion I was coming too but its good to have a solid answer. Thanks for the product info too! I will be checking out those Kato's and start hunting the locos on ebay soon. What is wrong with the walther ones?

your welcome! And no, walthers is good, its just not fair what they do to modelers of Amtrak. They discontinued all their Amtrak stuff in the matter of months after coming out with them, lol. Kato is much better, the only problem with kato is their not making a superliner transition sleeper car. I had a hard time finding all my Amtrak stuff online. there is only 3 phase V p24 on ebay right now, there new and the locomotive numbers are 116, 67, and 1, here are the item numbers 160993641911, 171012774111, and 171012774982 just search those numbers on ebay. there all auctions. I hope that helps. And Kato is also coming out with p42s in june 2013!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha! I just answered your other post and said IMHO you should sell and lo, here is the reason. You really MUST have some more Amtrak cars.

As far as Walthers goes, it seems their policy now is to discontinue fairly quickly. I've been wanting to build UP's Heritage train/s (brass is out of the question) and as you may know they have produced a set of 6 cars (3 domes 3 coaches) which are now discontinued without any indication or word as to whether they will produce any more of these (2 of the domes have been mis-named, correct cars-wrong names, 1 the "Willie James" is just a slight rehash of an older run of Budd sleepers), so if you have CP cars that are a good representation, you may find a demand for them.

your welcome! And no, walthers is good, its just not fair what they do to modelers of Amtrak. They discontinued all their Amtrak stuff in the matter of months after coming out with them, lol. Kato is much better, the only problem with kato is their not making a superliner transition sleeper car. I had a hard time finding all my Amtrak stuff online. there is only 3 phase V p24 on ebay right now, there new and the locomotive numbers are 116, 67, and 1, here are the item numbers 160993641911, 171012774111, and 171012774982 just search those numbers on ebay. there all auctions. I hope that helps. And Kato is also coming out with p42s in june 2013!

Thanks again for the info! I was just wondering because I am a fan of how the walthers ones look (ooooh shiny) compared to the katos in your other post. And yeah it seems that you can NEVER get good walthers products when you want them, they are always sold out! Do they not realize that more than just 100 people want their products?? lol. Thanks again for the info on eBay, I might have to put some rounds in the ol sniper rifle hehe

Lol, well good luck with getting the trains! :D Maybe if enough people yell at walthers on facebook or something they'll break down and release more Amtrak stuff, lol!

In real life, there are no more phase IV superliners, only phase IVB.

I think there may be a shell or half a shell of one or two heavily wreck damaged Superliners at Beech Grove still in IV paint. They would be too far gone to be repaired.

Of course you're right that all operating Superliners are now in IVb paint.

I think there may be a shell or half a shell of one or two heavily wreck damaged Superliners at Beech Grove still in IV paint. They would be too far gone to be repaired.

Of course you're right that all operating Superliners are now in IVb paint.

Really!? are they still there?! I'm leaving on a cruise from Florida next month and maybe I can see them, how far away is beach grove from Fort Lauderdale? :eek:

Really!? are they still there?! I'm leaving on a cruise from Florida next month and maybe I can see them, how far away is beach grove from Fort Lauderdale? :eek:

I went to do a quick google earth search for ya, but it seems that there is about 9 different Beech Groves in the US in different states lol. So if he can give you a state Ill let ya know, or just mapquest it.

Wow cool image when you zoom in.

I see a Superliner diner in phase III. Not sure how old the Google map photo is, but I didn't think there were any phase III Supers still around.

Going to have to do some research to try and figure out what diner that is. I know it's not 38020 (City of New Orleans...Bourbonnais, IL) as that one was wearing phase IV at the time of the wreck.

Got it. 38026. The Sunset Limited wreck in Hyder AZ. The infamous sabotage wreck. Slated for stimulus fund repair, but doesn't look like it has been done yet. And with a repair tag of over $2 million I doubt it will ever happen. Link to photo of 38026:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2513480

Back