American Flyer

jetsfan68

Hi again- Guess I am still a rookie-
Overall- How are the American Flyer trains?? I think I enough to get started-
I have 2 locomotives and about 10 cars (rolling stock)- I have to inventory the track pieces...... I don't know much about trains but since they are a hand me down- I don't want to sell them. Is the American Flyer set something I can build onto and get parts for?? the only thing I am not crazy about is the way the 2-rail track looks- Guess it does not look authentic to me. Just want to know if it's worth it to make the AF my setup- or buy another set *newer* and work the old ones in.... If I can get something of similiar size.

Hi, Jetsfan. I thought I gave you a pretty comprehensive answer to your questions at http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8053. You can still get parts and rolling stock for AF trains and you can also buy more realistic track. There are no newer versions of American flyer equipment except for some of the things like better looking track. S scale is close to American Flyer scale but not the same. It's not a widely used scale and not one I'd recommend to a beginner since the amount of equiment is limited and you generally need some pretty good model building skills since almost everything comes as a kit.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask but pleaase do so by hitting the "Reply" button on this thread rather than starting a new thread. It's hard to keep up with question if we have to look through different threads for similar questions.

Like Jim said American Flyer is old stuff no longer being made . I would keep it if it is a family heirloom but would think about a different scale like O or HO .

I have some old passenger and RPO cars in HO that are American Flyer. I know that AF is more associated with S (at least i think it's S maybe O) but there are some HO pieces out there. As a kid, most of my buddies and I had Lionel O-27 stuff (i still have a few of those pieces) but some of my friends had AF.
I can't remember where or when I got the HO rolling stock. Looong Loooong Loooong ago. I also have an unworking 2-8-2 (?-it's in pieces) in HO that's AF. I just unwrapped them again. Finally I get the Boxes of stuff from the storeage unit and my health takes another turn south. But I'm DETERMINED to get something running this year!

Set up the AF and enjoy some of your childhood again. Just think more about HO or even N for an actual layout. More things available, More layout per square foot, etc.

Scoot

Thanks- well I went to a local train shop and looked on the internet. I see they still make S Scale track that looks more authentic. I even recall a company called "Gargraves"- Will this track still work with these trains??

Back