American Flyer found in the barn!

Dameon

A few days ago, my father and I rediscovered his old American Flyer set. Time has not been gentle, but I really want to get it running again. I am not selling it. I am the first one in our family to have the skills to really be able to do something about it's condition and restore and preserve it so it can officially achieve heirloom status.

I'm looking for some online resources. Besides just a "how to repair/restore", I'd love to know what we've got, when it was made, etc, etc. Is there an online American Flyer encyclopedia type site or anything?

I really don't want to have to pay for someone to tell me the value of something I don't want to sell.

I've been searching online and finding pretty much nothing about the loco or the cars, which only makes me more curious. My father thinks it came as a set but the way everything is packaged I don't think so, more like all the pieces were bought separately and then presented together (it was originally given as a Christmas gift).

I'd like to at least get some of the crud cleaned off before I start to take any pictures. This is definitely not a case of "mint in box".

Then I'd say your best bet for evaluating value is watching ebay and searching ebay completed sales to see what they're going for.

I really don't want to have to pay for someone to tell me the value of something I don't want to sell.

I've been searching online and finding pretty much nothing about the loco or the cars, which only makes me more curious. My father thinks it came as a set but the way everything is packaged I don't think so, more like all the pieces were bought separately and then presented together (it was originally given as a Christmas gift).

I'd like to at least get some of the crud cleaned off before I start to take any pictures. This is definitely not a case of "mint in box".

If you want a honest, authoritive, opinion of value, you will have to resort to paying for either one of the AF guide books, or an on-line subscription source. Sites like eBay have their selling prices all over the place and only represent what a small group of persons are willing to pay for the item on that particular day...not necessarily representing the items actual value.

NYW&B

Back