Am I the only one who just wants to watch trains run and not worry about "operation"?

I enjoy watching trains run on the layout. My wife purchased me a higher chair that allows me a view of the layout and great for train watching.

My work bench is a an old desk that I mounted on rollers and I keep it under the layout. When I need the work space, I simple roll it out. When working on projects, I usually run a train since I like listening to the locomotive and metal wheels on the rolling stock moving down the track.

So far the main operation has been moving cars around the layout with no practical reason other than switching. When track cleaning time comes, I use a switcher and move one or two cars at a time out of the area that I'm cleaning track. When finish I move them all back. So much for operation.

Thanks.

Greg

To each their own, but I've always enjoyed just watching the trains go through beautiful scenes and such. It's nice to tie things in to each other, but we buy what we like, and if we tried to model everything we buy so that it can make logistical sense, I supposed we'd be building in an auditorium and never, ever finish.

I personally think it's cool if someone's into operations, but I don't have the patience or desire to do that sort of thing myself.

Tell my if I'm the only one that just likes to watch trains run? And, please tell me if I'm crazy for not building a layout again that supports operation.

Thanks,
Mondo

No, I don't think you're crazy. But having said that, I would install a few turnouts between your mainlines just to let the trains cross over from one to the other, just for a change of pace. I would also plan for a way for cars to get out of the yard onto the main. I think you're burned out on "over operations" and might be going a bit far in the opposite direction. A little bit of operations can add a lot of fun and interest. Plan for the possibility. If you choose not to use it, fine, but at least it's there. It's a lot easier to build it in now than to add it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually can't run mindlessly on the mainline because I have a reverse loop to loop set up. So you have to flip a switch in the center every so often or derail the train.

I have a full car card system and enjoy operating it. I normally make the second loop directional and serial stage the trains. My passenger trains do just run down the line in order and stop at the stations before returning to staging. For one person operation I run each train at a time.

I actually do run about 7 trains. Just separated by time and route/purpose. I find it to be like playing a game. Can you make the railroad run smoothly? Did you misplace cars?

Sometimes I get the urge to arrange a meet and take a picture with two trains in it.

Captain of Industry
President of Lancaster Central RR
President of Lancaster & Western Maryland Railway

I really enjoy reading this thread. It is nice to hear why we all do this hobby. Some for operations, scenery, or just running trains. The best thing is that no matter how you do this hobby you are enjoying it your way. That is why this is such a diversely used hobby. I think what we all have in common is that the hobby relaxes us and brings out an imagination that no other hobby can in so many ways.[emoji4] great post guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Back