Always something...

Fazby

Ya never stop learning....

There is one short stretch where two of my engines would hang up. (Coincidentally, they are both ALCOs.) I figured, ok, there is a quirk with those two. Then others started to hang up.

I ran my fingernail along the track thinking maybe a kink or uneven joiner (never mind that this track was laid a few years ago.) So, I applied a file just to smooth it a bit.

No dice.

Then it finally clicked. Electrical!

I soldered the track joiners and the issue was resolved. Apparently just enough weight broke the connection. Heavier engines (and larger flywheels) made it through.

Never ceases to amaze me how much things change (and sometimes still do) once you ballast track and flood the track with glue. Gets in the dangest places.

Ah well. We grow too soon old, and too late wise.

(Newbies: beware when you ballast. Noise may increase as the bond can create a soundboard and you can easily mees up some electrical connections.)

I had a similar issue after painting and then ballasting my track. I was super careful with the paint around the turnout points. I was NOT as careful with the glue after ballasting. Long story short, I had to clean glue that was insulating the points of the turnout. It took me two days to figure that out by the way!:rolleyes::)

Back