Allied Model Trains closing

That's one man's opinion. The LHS that we boomers grew up with may be 'fading', but model train sales are thriving on the 'net.

People were making these same gloomy predictions during the slotcar craze of the Sixties.

I agree....

On the other hand, note that AHS seems to be more geared towards train collecting instead of model railroading. Train collecting, i.e. paying big bucks for the Lionel Trains you had/wanted as a kid, may well be on the way out, as the baby boomers in the hobby die off.

As for model railroading, I'd say that DCC has made the hobby healthier now than it was 10 to 20 years ago. It's a bit cyclical, always has been. Slot cars and game consoles and computers and who knows what else have all had an impact for a while, but the hobby seems to have staying power.

They say it runs in 7 year ups and downs. I have been selling off mixed stuff on ebay so I can buy more there. Guess as it dies off {which it wont (my opinion)} more will become available there. And if not some guy probably started model railroading with a block of wood and a pocket knife. So those of us that cant find it will have to scratchbuild it or find someone that can.

I agree....

On the other hand, note that AHS seems to be more geared towards train collecting instead of model railroading. Train collecting, i.e. paying big bucks for the Lionel Trains you had/wanted as a kid, may well be on the way out, as the baby boomers in the hobby die off.

As for model railroading, I'd say that DCC has made the hobby healthier now than it was 10 to 20 years ago. It's a bit cyclical, always has been. Slot cars and game consoles and computers and who knows what else have all had an impact for a while, but the hobby seems to have staying power.
Allied was, it depressed me the one time I entered those doors, and saw all those Lionel's & S gauge trains.

"The owners will keep Drucker's emphasis on stocking toy trains, and the Original Whistle Stop will retain its focus on scale modeling, generally a more adult hobby in which participants often re-create specific railroads and locales in exacting detail."

I'd find it hard to keep such a large store going on "toy" trains.

There's a big train store in Sarasota, Florida that has been going for years, even after the discount train stores have closed up. But, if he didn't own the whole strip mall & have money coming in all the time I think he would have closed up a few years ago w/the discounters. I only visit him when I want a special magazine or if I'm in the area. I can't afford his prices(full retail & then some). He has a lot of used consignment stuff, but he won't sell it much lower than what his retail price is.

I don't mean to be negative but, WHO FRICKIN CARES??

Allen Drucker lost my sympathy at this point in the article:

Then there is the looky-loo hobbyist who, he said, comes in, checks out the latest model trains with powerful lights and digital sounds but buys almost nothing.
"He says, 'Wow, I would love that.' Then he walks out of here with a tube of glue and a magazine and buys it online from some guy working out of a barn in the middle of Kansas."

It seems Mr. Drucker has lost the concept of the market place.
Price dictates everything followed up by customer service.
The old adage of compete or die rings true in this case.
I don't care if his store generates $3,000 electric bills.
I work for a living and want the most for my dollar when and where I spend it.

Just my two cents folks........:rolleyes:

Ditto and offer something the guy in the barn cant or why didnt he start an online business to boot since he was already established and had the contacts.

I just read somewhere that the number one selling item on Ebay is Model Trains, Seems to me he should have concentrated on internet sales and not walk in customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have heard, this is a guy that had long been out of touch with model railroading as a hobby. So his opinion might not be one to really listen to.
Internet has changed all the hobbies so to speak and it doesn't appear he wanted to follow. Tootles as they say.

my response

I am by no means a writer, but I did email this to the LA Times writer, Roger Vincent;

Dear Mr. Vincent,

I am sure you will be overwhelmed with responses to your article, whom will all dispute the demise of the model railroad hobby! I am one of them!

The internet has changed the face of the hobby, just as it has many aspects of our life. There are fewer model railroad hobby shops and publications due to the instant information contained within the internet. You can now join a forum and get and give tips, tutorials and in general share with other model railroaders worldwide, within minutes! We also now have a wealth of products available through the internet that were not possible at a local hobby shop.

I feel that Mr.Drucker made a financial choice that is not an indication of the trends in model railroading!

Thank you,
David Bateman
Model Rail Structures
www.modelrailstructures.com
Capreol, Ontario
Canada

Amen David , The Internet has opened the world to all who will take advantage of it !! And I mean for retailers also !

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an avid fisherman also and I can definately see how the internet has changed things in both model trains and fishing. Before, retailers could sell at prices close to retail because their was no competition and people could not really contact distributors outside of their area. Now with the internet I can not only find out what is available elsewhere but find the best cost. I love to support my local hobby store when I can but if I can get a switch for $5 cheaper online I am going to do it because I am not a millionare.

Back