Airbrushing help

clyde

I tried my hand at airbrushing for the first time this weekend and it became a full on disaster. I have what I would consider an entry level airbrush made by Master Airbrush and was using Badger Modelflex Paint. At first I couldn't get the gun to pull the paint then when I diluted the paint, my gun started blowing air bubbles and the paint wouldn't stick to my model. I was wondering do I need a larger tip or if anybody could give me any other suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance!

Your problem is quite likely the airbrush. Master makes cheap Chinese knockoffs. Quality can vary. This is why I tell students not to economize too much. A decent airbrush can be had for less than $100.00. Less than $75.00 in many cases. Cheap tools are a false economy, and if you are inexperienced it can be impossible for you to tell if you are doing something wrong or if your equipment is having issues. Where were the bubbles coming from? Inside the paint cup? If so this probably means a loose nozzle (air leakage) or some blockage in the nozzle itself. Badger Modelflex should be mixed well (stirred, not shaken) before spraying. It is difficult to advise you not knowing what type of airbrush you have, but I would clean it, check and make sure the fittings are tight, you have enough air pressure (25 psi or so will work fine) and spray some plain water or windex through it. Seal any leaks with a little Chapsitck or beeswax on the threads. Hope this helps! If it doesn't work, post a pic of your airbrush and we'll see what other solutions there might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what you are saying it sounds like a lot of normal issues with airbrushing. Here is one mans take on what is the problem from what you had said:

I tried my hand at airbrushing for the first time this weekend and it became a full on disaster. I have what I would consider an entry level airbrush made by Master Airbrush and was using Badger Modelflex Paint.
I don't know anything about this airbrush but a cheap equipment is only going to work as well as it is made.

At first I couldn't get the gun to pull the paint then when I diluted the paint,
You figured out that most paint for airbrushing needs to be thinned. Think of milk.

my gun started blowing air bubbles
Getting air in the paint bottle/cup is normally caused by the needle covered with dried paint or the brush is clogged

and the paint wouldn't stick to my model.
If your paint isn't sticking to the model it's likely because the paint is dry before it hits the model. Try to spray a little more paint or have the model closer so the paint is wet when it hits the model.

I was wondering do I need a larger tip or if anybody could give me any other suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance!
Painting a model I would think you don't need a large point/needle but a smaller one.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing: I notice you said you diluted the paint. Badger Model Flex is airbrush ready. No thinning required! Depends what you diluted it with too. That could have caused you a problem.

Back