airbrush troubble

BIG-D

hea all i need some help in mew to airbrushing and am having some dificulty i thinned the paint just like i was supposed to 60 40 but it was too thin (my b i messed up ) and it was coming out in splatters can anyone help me when i ran straight watter it worked out just fine
:confused:

What brand paint and what brand/model airbrush are you using also what are you using for an airsupply?

paint can be of different kind. acryl, enamel, etc but assuming you used the right thinner for the job (ie water for acryl paint) it sounds like the brush may be clogged. get the needle out and lean the nozzle

ive takin it apart and cleaned it all pipecleaners and thinner still being weird it came with 2 extra needles and a diffrent tip could these be the problem

I sprayed alot of Testors Model Master and the old square bottle stuff, Thinning 60 Paint/40 Thinner seems a bit much try 70/30 or even 75/25 at 15-20 psi to start, test diffrent mixes and pressures until you like the results. Use Lacquer Thinner for cleaning and use Testors Airbrush thinner for thinning only, also open the drain on the compresser and let out the moisture regularly, adding a moisture trap helps, you can pick them up at any Auto Paint store. Water dropplets will ruin you paint job in a heart beat.

no i used testors thinner with the little square bottles of enamel cg thanks when i last drained the compressor yesterday their was some condensation and the paint was wayyyyyyy to runny so i think ill try the 75 25 and go from their now i just gotta go buy more paint

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you drained all of the water out of the compressor. You still need a good water trap. Just natural occurance of condensation forms when air is compressed and simply draining your compressor will not do, you need a dryer.

I don't even use a percentage rule when I thin airbrush paint. I try to aim for the consistency of milk. When it's thinned I splash a little on the side of my jar and when it leaves a film like milk does I start spraying.
Also my compressor doesn't have a tank so there's very little condensation issue. (I also live in a semi desert region so there's low humidity)

Did you filter the paint before using it? I use pieces of Nylon stockings. Also make sure it is thoroughly mixed. I also found this web site extremely helpful. www.howtoairbrush.com I have been air brushing about a year now and I am beginning to get comfortable with it. Not doing fancy artwork but painting in modeling.

To mix paint a toss two BB's (air gun ammo) into the jar and shake. To strain paint I went to the hardware store and picked up some metal plumbing strainers, the ones that are on the end of a set of faucets. I found some that are round so they act as a sort of funnel as I'm pouring paint through:
Shadow098.png

Back