AHM Oldime passenger car truck and coupler conversion

RTV&T

I recently bought an 20+ year old AHM Oldtime Coach and Combine (HO scale) on ebay and were wondering if any of you know how and what I’ll need to upgrade the stock trucks and couplers with metal wheel trucks and knuckle style couplers. I’d prefer the couplers to now be body mount.

I recently bought an 20+ year old AHM Oldtime Coach and Combine (HO scale) on ebay and were wondering if any of you know how and what I’ll need to upgrade the stock trucks and couplers with metal wheel trucks and knuckle style couplers. I’d prefer the couplers to now be body mount.
Hmmm, I have bunches of those cars and now that you mention it, I have never converted a single one. Many of mine from the 1960s already have metal wheels.

I don't think I've ever seen a Jaybee or other brand "kit" to do that with. You will probably just have to build your own coupler pad like you would a freight car.

For truck mounted couplers Mc Henry might have some direct replacements.

I've done these before. Use the Kadee #5 (buy a pack of #148, much cheaper that way) and the draft gear box #242.

If yours has the couplers mounted to the truck, simply cut them off.

Kadee suggests glueing a thin piece of styrene under where the gear box will go to shim it up. Wait until that's dry and then glue the gear box body to the frame. If you have some small enough wood screws, (2/56 IIRC) when you install the couplers and the cover piece, add them for a better grip on the body. I've seen glue-on couplers pop off with little effort.

On some rare occasions, you may need to use a coupler with a different shank to properly adjust the height.

Back