Affordable modern vehicles???

I agree with Hf1 and Montanan that quality vehicles go a long way in setting the stage and the era so to speak on a layout. But that being said, it does not mean you have to spend a fortune. At recent shows I have been able to pick up Busch Crown Vic's and Caprices for less than $5 a piece. Granted they may be silver or white, but they work. Herpa Deals can be had, as well as bargins on Atlas Tauruses. You just need a little cash and be there early. The good stuff tends to go fast. You won't find deals on new River Point F-250's and Expeditions. But a lot of good looking stuff is out there cheap. If you have a good size layout, you end up needing a ton of vehicles. Bill

I agree with Hf1 and Montanan that quality vehicles go a long way in setting the stage and the era so to speak on a layout. But that being said, it does not mean you have to spend a fortune. At recent shows I have been able to pick up Busch Crown Vic's and Caprices for less than $5 a piece. Granted they may be silver or white, but they work. Herpa Deals can be had, as well as bargins on Atlas Tauruses. You just need a little cash and be there early. The good stuff tends to go fast. You won't find deals on new River Point F-250's and Expeditions. But a lot of good looking stuff is out there cheap. If you have a good size layout, you end up needing a ton of vehicles. Bill
You are right on having to have a lot of vehicles. I figure that I probably have way too many for what I have scenry done because I model the mid 50's in western Montana, vehicles weren't as numerous are other places in the country, but I still have one more rather large town to build I may have enough. There weren't many traffic jams in small towns in that era. I would rather have more than not enough. I can always put them on ebay in lots I guess.

You are right on having to have a lot of vehicles. I figure that I probably have way too many for what I have scenry done because I model the mid 50's in western Montana, vehicles weren't as numerous are other places in the country, but I still have one more rather large town to build I may have enough. There weren't many traffic jams in small towns in that era. I would rather have more than not enough. I can always put them on ebay in lots I guess.

or pass them forward to those who need some ;) LOL, I too agree with having more then you need when building your layout!

I seem to have the opposite problem, I go to walmart and they have the 70's and 80's fresh cherries there when just a few years ago they have the 55 chevys, 50's Caddilacs, and the 40's and 50's ford pickups.
The problem of course was the decision by matchbox, linsey and other British Di-cast car makers back in the 50's and 60's to make their vehicle models in 1:64 scale. The rest of the diecast makers (Hotwheels, Johnny Lightning, ect) followed suit and we've been stuck ever since.
A couple years ago Hotwheels made a few models in HO but the only one that suited me was the custom Merc. The rest were too new.

Back