Aethern RTR SD-45

I think I know the answer all ready, but want to ask any way. I was looking at one today, it would go with my GP35's, Would it work on 18 curves #4 turnouts?? I know it would be better to be on 22 and #6's. I do not even have a track plan picked out and was ready to order the SD45 :)

Buzz.

I second what ouengr is saying. I have a one turn where the geometry isn't exactly what it should be (need to fix that) and you need to stick to 4 wheel per truck units. The 18" radius turns will limit you to 53' cars as well. I have had trouble with using longer cars on the turn I am talking about too.

Even some Walthers coal cars I have that are in the 40' range have trouble with that turn. The coal cars will make it but not every time and derails get old. The coal cars are limited in turn radius because the trucks will only turn so far before hitting the center beam and coupler assembly box.

I do have some 60' Roundhouse Old Time Passenger Cars that will navigate the turn but that is because the trucks have nothing to hit on and can make it. It doesn't look quite right either going around that turn but I don't care about such things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the track plans I am looking at are made for 4x8's, but I will build them 5x11 or so. One plan I can go with 22 radius curves or a yard. If I go 6 feet wide, that is really pushing the limits of reach, I can do both. I will have access to all sides as it will roll around. I am wanting to build a simple one to just get trains running. I have a few projects ahead before I start this one, but it is getting closer.

Buzz.

Well the track plans I am looking at are made for 4x8's, but I will build them 5x11 or so. One plan I can go with 22 radius curves or a yard. If I go 6 feet wide, that is really pushing the limits of reach, I can do both. I will have access to all sides as it will roll around. I am wanting to build a simple one to just get trains running. I have a few projects ahead before I start this one, but it is getting closer.

Buzz.

Sounds like a plan Buzz. Are you going with DCC?

The first time I ran a loco on DCC with sound. I was hooked. I have most of my old BB GP35 upgraded with DCC now. I added a sound decoder to my Athearn 59PHI. The bell sound is great.

Now to get a few more projects done so I can run the rails.

Buzz.

Athearns SD45's are based on a majorly upgraded Rail Power SD45 shell. That being said they are generally very nicely detailed and usually include some prototypical oriented details such as light packages used by the SP and the L shaped windshields, plows and the like.

But if you are running an 18 inch radius track on a 4x8, it would be wise to stick with shorter cars and engines (4 axle). The SD45 may make it around 18 inch curves, but they won't look very good and may yank short cars off the track if coupled to them. As rule 6 axle diesels like 22 inch or larger curves. I ran my tunnel motors on 28 inch curves and they looked pretty sharp under those diesels, although they are even longer than the SD45

I guess I knew I needed at least 22 inch radius, but was hoping. Never hurts to ask, even if you pretty much now the answer. You might just be surprised.

So many things to dream about, so little time to enjoy them.

Buzz.

I guess I knew I needed at least 22 inch radius, but was hoping. Never hurts to ask, even if you pretty much now the answer. You might just be surprised.

So many things to dream about, so little time to enjoy them.

Buzz.

You are not alone Buzz. I've thought about getting a 6 axle unit to try but have always thought better of it. I need to fix some curves so I could run bigger loco's but I have bigger fish to fry before doing so. Priorities and details <sigh>.

Back