Advice on cutting plastruct ABS tubing

Frankr409

Greetings. I have some plastruct tubing that I need to split length wise, making a nice straight cut. The tube is TB-48 for those familiar with plastruct. It is made of ABS and is 2.4 mm thick.

Does anyone have a success story getting a straight length wise cut on something like this and can recommend the right tool, saw, etc?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Frankr409,

Wow, that is a tough one! If you didn't need a whole lot of tubing cut along its length, I would suggest clamping the tubing in a vee-shaped jig of some sort, clamp a straight edge where you want the cut, then use either a sharp blade (hobby knife, single-edge razor blade, etc.) or a scriber to make the actual cut. The scriber will take longer, but shouldn't leave a raised edge the way a blade will do. I've got two scribers -- one I got from MicroMark, and one I got from Military Model Distributors (also known as Squadron); both work equally well.

If "round" is not a necessity, I would suggest using C channel stock. It makes very good looking gutters on an HO scale model.

Hope this is of some help!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I am going to make a trip to home depot, and thinking either Dremel 3000 usinge the mini saw tool, or some other fine saw blade.

The tubes are going to be cut for the very distinctive looking vents on a BOF. I'll get it done somehow.

I've not had much luck in cutting plastics with any kind of rotary tool saw; the speed of the blade causes the plastic to melt, due to friction.

Let me add this -- that's when I've wanted to save both parts being cut. If you're only interested in one of the parts, cut close but not exactly on the edge you want to keep, then use a file and/or sandpaper and finish off the edge.

BOF? I don't recognize that one... :confused:

Regards,
Tom

Tom,

That is good to know about the power tool. I am thinking a fine enough blade should do the job for me.

BOF = Basic Oxygen Furnace. They have very distinct horizontal roof vents that look a little like pac man.

Back