Advice Needed, Replace Both or Just Re-Motor Athearn DD44

Smudge617

I have a DD44, which has not run in 40yrs. I knew it would be problematic, actually turned out less than I thought really, as you can see trucks and wheels need a good clean and gears lubricating, which is fine, no issue with that.

My problem is one of the motors runs exceptionally hot, and I mean hot, 5mins on 1/3rd power and I can't hold it with my fingers, this motor was near sized and has taken a few hours feckling with it, just to get it run, strangely the other motor ran fine from the off with no issue at all.

So would it be advisable to replace just the one motor with a similar one, or replace both with new motors, I doubt I could mix them, something to do with currant draw I think, and I would also think the newer motors would run at a faster speed too, and as they have to run in tandem, I doubt that would work, but I'm no expert so I could well be wrong.

Any advice, ideas or comments would be welcome.

DD44Truck-chassis.jpg
DD44 Motor.jpg

Last edited:
I'd just replace both with Athearn blue box motors. The form factor should be the same for mounting the newer motors in the old frame, but depending on the age of the model the drive line components might be different. You might also be looking at adding or removing flywheels depending on the replacement motors you get and the setup your model already has. One thing to look out for is the current production Athearn motor uses a hexagonal opening in the end of the flywheel to connect the drive shafts. Older Athearn motors used a plastic insert into the end of the flywheel that the drive shafts clipped onto to form a universal joint.

I'd just replace both with Athearn blue box motors. The form factor should be the same for mounting the newer motors in the old frame, but depending on the age of the model the drive line components might be different. You might also be looking at adding or removing flywheels depending on the replacement motors you get and the setup your model already has. One thing to look out for is the current production Athearn motor uses a hexagonal opening in the end of the flywheel to connect the drive shafts. Older Athearn motors used a plastic insert into the end of the flywheel that the drive shafts clipped onto to form a universal joint.
Most of the new motors I've noticed have the Hex connections now, so I've ordered a A-line universal coupling kit on the off chance I'll have no alternative, but not necessary with this one, as it has no flywheels, I've looked at replacement motors, found some, but on backorder, due in October, (unless someone's got two floating around, their willing to sell me) but I think this may fit.
ATH 84080.jpg

That should be a drop-in fit. If you pull the flywheels off an Athearn blue box motor this is what it will look like.

That should be a drop-in fit. If you pull the flywheels off an Athearn blue box motor this is what it will look like.
Gonna have to wait till the back order arrives in October, so should get in sometime end of November, I'll try and get it running for Christmas.😁
Looked at getting second hand motors, but not readily available in the UK, and two second hand ones would set me back around $140 inc postage, I can get NIB from a US supplier for less than $70 inc postage if I wait.

Back